Ratlook

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont do it...

you acquire the look over time and use, forced rats in most cases look awful....

so many go over the top in pursuit of a look, if all you are after is a distressed paintwork then judiscious use of P1200 well wetted over the edges and corners, when your happy then dry and clean it before sealing it any rust your wanting just keep it at a manageable level again with the P1200 till your happy before sealing it again....

personally I think your better getting a well used van that has naturally aged and worn...

what they all said! natural rats look really cool and dont cost a penny. depending on how your van looks at the moment you could devalue it by ratting it up, and also the rat look is the in thing currently but may not always be that way. in which case you may up spending money getting it back to how it looks now.

I agree, don't do it.

The term rat can't be a good thing. You can't fake originality, my bus has suffered the Californian weather for nearly 40 years :mrgreen: but it still requires work to keep it tidy :mrgreen: I wan't to fully restore my bus at some point but can't afford it, so I have spent my money on suspension, interior etc to get the stance and comfort I want.....

IN MY OPINION - The only way to give a freshly painted bus an aged/rat/old look is to give it a matt finish. Looks cool but not faking it too much.

Put some pics up and lets see what the bus looks like. Spend money in the right areas and the bus will look cool......and it is your bus so make it how you want it.

No offence intended, BUT, if you need to ask how to 'rat up' your bus, then do you know what 'rat look' is? In my humble opinion, it is the summation of many years of natural use and abuse by people and the climate.(usually hot, CA, AZ, etc). Many have tried to emulate the ageing effects, usually with little success. And no, my bus is not what I would call 'rat look', just a 40 year old bus doing it's thing, showing its scars with pride and going on for another 40 years!

What they sead^^^^

I love the look of Rat look Bugs, Busses etc but it has to occur naturaly over the years.
I bet in 10 years 1/2 the ratlook vehicles inc mag feature cars will be long gone,chopped up for whatever salvageble parts are left.
Its a shame but if it a vehicle has that much rust to start with(on import from the states,Oz etc) then even with protection on the body it will not last in the uk.
If your van looks crap(in your eyes) dont add to its problems you giving it rust.
Be proud of what you have. My daly was a hand painted Bay a few years back.
Even if you give it a roller job, dont give it rust.

Just my opinion, hope i wasnt rude.

Rich :mrgreen:

I agree with the genral opinion but i have heard of a guy who sprays vans to look rusty over on Vzi seems mental to me but its prob better then rusting your ride up!

Also i saw a guy in a rusty hightop split pouring coke on his van must speed the process up if vans are anything like teeth lol.

Hope that helps!

You can also get bullet hole stickers to but thats just sad!

My best mate loves the rat this is his van

86_1.jpg

aged naurally in the arizona sun then sat on his drive in the rain for the past two years lol

Craggy & Strongy are both in Lincoln.

That's still no excuse to muller another bus!

agreed with all before me.....
i cant stand badly angle grinded (ground???) paint to try and achieve patina.... just looks lame!!!!

Latest posts