re: brakes vibrating

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrocars

Reaction score
since having my van i have had slight vibration through the pedal on braking, coming back from paignton, this has got alot worst on hard braking, its almost like abs vibe you get on new cars, do i need to fit new drums or shoes??? has anyone got any ideas

just a update on the brakes, we removed front drums, to be honest they seem to be ok, not that bad that you would go out and buy new, the shoes also were in good contd, the only thing we noticed was that only the half of the shoes seem to be making contact with the drums, same both sides, all callipers free and working, no leeks, we decidided to fitt another set of drums from riches van, (cus he got loads of money and had them flat shinny things fitted), with drums fitted brakes were then adjusted up.

quick lap around the block and the vibration has gone :D , so it was either the drums or bad adjustment

I had the same problem on my van. The brakes were vibrating like yours and as a result brealing unevenly. It only gets worse and becomes dangerous as you end up swerving and braking at the same time which is not fun. I had loads of problems with the brakes overheating as they were impossible to adjust properly. I fannied about for ages trying to sort it out and ended up with having a minor crash when the brakes failed on me!! Bite the bullet and get some new drums

You could get them lathed true,if you can find someone to do it.I've got a brake disc lathe and I'm thinking about modifying it to lathe drums too.

Anyway there are companies out there that do it,and it would probably be cheaper and possibly better than fitting new repro ones?

It would be wise to fit new shoes also and check both wheel cylinders aren't leaking or seized and the adjusters aren't seized.

wonderbus said:
I had the same problem on my van. The brakes were vibrating like yours and as a result brealing unevenly. It only gets worse and becomes dangerous as you end up swerving and braking at the same time which is not fun. I had loads of problems with the brakes overheating as they were impossible to adjust properly. I fannied about for ages trying to sort it out and ended up with having a minor crash when the brakes failed on me!! Bite the bullet and get some new drums
thanks for that, will get them sorted before cornwall, was it the rear of front you had trouble with, i will strip the front down and start there

Latest posts