rear backing plates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian82

Reaction score
Im sure this would of come up before. Ive just bought my first bus and the first thing I need to get sorted on it is causing me problems. I need some rear backing plates for my 69. I can find later ones but nothing anywhere for my year.
I read somewhere that later ones can be modified to fit but since have been unable to find it.
Is it just plates from a 68 and 69 that are the same? I'm guessing late split ones are different too?

Ian82

A H Schofields have got some repro rear brake backing plates in stock, I have just ordered one to see what its like , they are £59 a piece

If you go onto Schofields website and put 'backing plates' into the search box they come up.They announced that they had had some made on their FB page the other day

Mike

We do them, not in stock but will be in about 3 weeks time:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211609439D/brake-back-plate-rear-left-t2-bay-3-68-7-70/?crumbStartPage=4&crumbStartRow=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211609440D/brake-back-plate-rear-right-t2-bay-3-68-7-70/?crumbStartPage=4&crumbStartRow=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will get our price matched to the £59 on Schofields!

Just too late :(
I repaired mine just befor Xmas when all the brakes and wheel bearings were done.
I would have bought new ones then, but they weren't available and I can't face doing them again so soon.

Think I used a combination of early and late items welded together :lol: Seem to do the trick, the repro ones weren't available at the time and I couldn't have afforded them anyway :)

I think vwed has this.

If I remember correctly only pre march 68 backing plates will work with pre march 68 drums so you have to change the drums to use these backing plates.
However, someone told me a while ago that you can machine the drums

Never easy! Glad I don't need any right now :lol: Good to know for the future though

I've seen pre March 68 backing plates for sale at times, albeit very infrequently.

I believe that they may be similar to late split ones - maybe someone could confirm/deny this?

Here's the above mentioned workshop bulletin:

1154900.jpg

Latest posts