Rear Backplate model differences? Please help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've got hold of some new backplates for my 69RHD devon from Evam classic in Holland which were described as 68-70 rear backplates.

Now when I go to put my drums back on either the backplate is too large or the drums too small!

My old backplate actually fits inside my new ones. Have I got the wrong part or are my drums non standard? I was wondering whether I have 68 drums or 68 backplates as I know in the past there are a lot of one year only parts for 68 vans but mine is a 69.

Could anyone help? I've posted up some photos to show you

It looks to me like maybe the red back plate is a late split screen one with the centre hole opened out a bit - the 4 mounting bolt holes are visible at the circumference of the opened out hole.

This is a RHS 68-70 (photo credit to the samba.com)

This post from the ssvc might be useful - it seems that late earlybay / late bay backing plates IE 8/70 to 79 can be modified quite easily to 68-70

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the same problem.

My bus is a Jan 68 one and uses the 'single' lip backplates.

I believe that these changed from March 68 to the 'Double' lip type.

I ended up buying some new, very expensive, drums as they wouldn't fit on the 'Double' lip drums.

If you search on here VWED did a piece on the differences along with, I believe, a picture from the manual about it.

Hope this helps

Thanks Fortunate son, they are indeed splitscreen backing plates. Evam classic are seeing if they have any earlybay ones left and have apologised for the mix up. :oops:

early 68 drums are the same as split ones apart from the depth of spline for shaft,have machined some down to fit.came across this when I worked at Midland Early Bay when tried to fit 70 drums on a 68 :shock:

Latest posts