Rear bearings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingertim

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone know of a supplier of quality rear bearings for an 1970 earlybay panel van? I did have a quick search and found people saying don’t use cheap vtech etc. some sites just say good quality but not what brands it will be sent?
Cheers

Hi Gingertim. I did mine a while back and bought them from a retailer, I think it was just campers and went for the best they had and to be fair they’ve been fine for the past couple of years. I now wish though because they were a make I’d never heard of that I’d just gotten the old ones off and looked for the sizes on there or measured them and just gone to a bearing supplier and got a brand that I’d recognised. If you can get the bearings off and read the numbers on the edge, type the numbers only into a computer and it’ll come up with what bearing it is and various bearing suppliers. Then go to whichever one you fancy and see that there’ll be several makes of bearings on their site at various prices ranging from about three or four quid each to about seven or eight quid for SKF or any other brand that tickles your dangly bits. Usually next day delivery and you’ll have something that you recognise. At a glance you’ll see differences in bearings , sealed , not sealed, etc etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,same with seals :)

If you're concerned about the quality of parts VW suppliers sell, go to a local bearing supplier.
Rear wheel bearing sizes are as follows;
08/1967-07/1979 inner - 72mm od, 35mm id, 17mm wide
08/1967-07/1970 outer - 72mm od, 35mm id, 17mm wide
07/1970-07/1979 outer - 62mm od, 35mm id, 19mm wide

Sorry to hijack the thread but it's a bearing related question. 😉
The Official Service manual calls for a press to install the new ones. Any of you did without it? I'd rather not remove the bearing housings, but will do if necessary.

The Official Service manual calls for a press to install the new ones. Any of you did without it? I'd rather not remove the bearing housings, but will do if necessary.

They usually tap out relatively easily

Tap the old ones out with a drift, and tap the new ones in with a suitably sized socket.

Latest posts