Rear bumper help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddocwayne

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper?
Hi all new to this I have a 1971 camper/bus not sure what you call it. When I bought it the rear bumper wasn't fitted but was supplied with the bus. It has a 4 pipe exhaust fitted by Po. I've tried to fit the bumper but it seems to want to fit where the exhaust tips are. Question can I fit the bumper with this exhaust? Without cutting bumper. If not what exhaust would you recommend. Thanks Wayne

hi Wayne and welcome,
There are far more knowledgable folk on here than I but I would very much doubt that a bumper will work with a 4 tip exhaust. The factory fit was a single small pipe coming out on the nearside. You can just see it poking down here. You may be able to replace some of the pipes with different shapes or just the whole exhaust system. I don't know which one to recommend I'm afraid.
I'm intrigued to see what it looks like? Do you have any pics?
One other thing ...I think you *may* have a crossover in which case getting the right bumper for it may be really hard so don't do anything rash with the bumper you have!

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 8
If it’s a crossover (71/72) then don’t cut the bumper as they are unique to this model and expensive to replace. There are lots of options on exhausts from standard to a bit sporty that will clear your bumper and ditch the 4 tip.

I have a spare '72 crossover rear bumper with a few dents
I may be interested in this. Whereabouts are you located?Any chance of some pics? The bumper I have had on my '71 bus (for the last 18 years!) is very tight to the body, with barely a millimeter of clearance at each side. I've always thought it was wrong, but only just found out they are year specific. It would be great if you could let me know what the measurement between the return ends of the bumper is, so I can check against mine?
Hope that makes sense?

Latest posts