Rear compartment heater part no's

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LalitaTripura

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum as I have recently bought a 1972 dormobile :D She has had a lot of work done on the outside and is in reasonably good running order. So far I have not found any problems with her that I was not expecting. The Martin Walter roof leaks through the windows as the seal has been cut to put the perspex in!! Did the original have glass in it?

The only thing that she has in the back is a full size rock n roll bed. I am intending to replace it with a 3/4 and some units.

As the weather is starting to get cooler I thought that my first priority after sorting the leaking roof would be to get the heating system working again. The heat exchangers look alright and I have re-attached the bellows to the y piece (technical terms i know but I am new to this!). At the front of the engine compartment and the back of the rear floor (under the bed in the seating position) there are two holes that presumably had a cover that allowed heat into the rear compartment. The covers are missing and therefore does not allow the air to continue to the cab.

Does anyone know the part no for these bits and where I might be able to acquire some?

Any leads would be helpful.

Many thanks

John

Welcome!
The windows in the roof were originally glass.
Try to get second hand ones if poss, but you can get them cut and get the corret rubbers from Dormobile (they can send
you a template for the glass too....01794 830831 )

Good luck :D

sparkywig said:
I'll have a look tomorrow and post a pic to see if these are what you're after. :) Haven't got a clue to the part nos.

Thanks sparkywig, pictures would be great. I went to RCC import the other day to try and get hold of a pair but without a part no or an idea of what they look like drew a blank! Don't most VW part normally have the part no stamped int them?

Hello Lalita, sorry about the wait.

008.jpg

009.jpg

Thread Hijack :!: :!:

has anyone got one of the handles for the above?

I'm missing one and whenever I'm at a swap meet/show I forget about it.... :roll:

Hi sparkywig,

Thanks for the photos.

I have just had a look at the holes in my bus and took these photo's.
2848489523_c2704f5852.jpg

2849323216_0a06a15484.jpg

Looking at the parts in your picture they don't look like they are the same shape as the holes and the bolt/screw holes are different! Do you think that there is another part that screwed into the floor that your parts fitted into?

Any thoughts would be good.

Lalita

looks like your tubes have been ground off so these will no longer fit for sure...may have to reinstall tubes first then all will be good to go :wink:
ste

ooro said:
looks like your tubes have been ground off

Tubes?

Unfortunately this was done by a PO! :evil: If anyone has a picture of this intact I would be grateful as I'm not sure what I need to put it back.

If I can't get hold of the parts I suppose I could weld a piece of metal over the holes so that the heat gets to the front, but would like to restore it if I can.

Thanks
Lalita

The heater tubes look like they have been removed for some reason :?
However, you can weld in two pieces of 50mm tube and this will fit the heater outlets. If you can wait until Saturday, I will measure and photograph the outlets in my bus. OK?

LalitaTripura said:
Hi sparkywig,

Thanks for the photos.

I have just had a look at the holes in my bus and took these photo's.
2848489523_c2704f5852.jpg

2849323216_0a06a15484.jpg

Looking at the parts in your picture they don't look like they are the same shape as the holes and the bolt/screw holes are different! Do you think that there is another part that screwed into the floor that your parts fitted into?

Any thoughts would be good.

Lalita

I've checked my bus, and the rear heater outlets are exactly the same as yours. :shock:

This is how mine look.

I've never taken them apart to see what is underneath them.

CIMG8247.jpg

Do your ones have a hole at the back to allow air through? It is hard to see from the pics.

You may just need to bolt new assemblies on. It doesn't look very 'factory' from your pics though...

Tofufi said:
This is how mine look.

CIMG8247.jpg

Do your ones have a hole at the back to allow air through? It is hard to see from the pics.

You may just need to bolt new assemblies on. It doesn't look very 'factory' from your pics though...

I should've checked my bus before I went to Vanfest :oops:

sparkywig said:
I should've checked my bus before I went to Vanfest :oops:

Doh!

I'd imagine they shouldn't be too hard to find some. Mine have levers going to something underneath them though, I think they have a flap mechanism to turn the heat off. Yours might be hard to re-connect, or even non existent?

No, shouldn't be too difficult. You can see the flaps at the rear of the units. I just need the tubes that bolt to the floor and then the vents slide into those.
Although they're probably like rocking horse shit now I want them. :lol:

008.jpg

Tofufi said:
This is how mine look.

This is how mine look.

CIMG8247.jpg

Hi Tofufi, thanks for the pics.

Looking at the picture above compared to mine below:
LalitaTripura said:
It would seem that holes are covered by a plate that covers the dark grey area as well as just the holes at the back!

At least now I can visualise what it is that I am looking for!! Now just got to find them :( .

Has anyone ever seen these out of a bus? Are they easy to replace and what would you use to seal it presumably it would need to be heat proof? Some sort of exhaust putty?

Latest posts