Rear end knocking noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed plenty of times and if so I apologise but can't ring any info for toffee.
Everytime I drive over a bump (plenty of them around Shropshire) there is a rather large bang coming from the N/S rear end. I've read it could be bearings but have no idea as it's the only part of the van I've not had in bits. I thought it might me bottoming out on the bump stops as its got horse shoe plates fitted but I've checked.

Any ideas would be greatly received

Fanx Folks

hello

may be cv joints knocking

my cv joints went slowly like a knock every now and then

til one day when i drive to france it went off like a air hammer

karl

Could be rear shock absorber also. If it is only on one side, it's a 5 min job to swap them over side to side to rule it out.

If so it could be either the trailing arm hitting the chassis, the driveshaft hitting the chassis, the shock absorber is too short, the bumpstop bracket hitting the chassis, or even the shock mounting bolts loose.

Have a look underneath to see if there's any marks where things that weren't designed to be close are touching.

Thanks for all the help folks. After a bit of head scratching and a lot of bouncing up and down in the back (ooh err Mrs!) I've found out that the std shockers are bottoming out. So a pair of standard shocks will be up for sale (only 6mths old) and I'll have to get some shorter ones. Any recommendations ???

Latest posts