Rear hub nut 1970 Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
john the horse said:
Wolf impact gun easy ! But it may turn ya whole van upside down , they joys of working in heavy industry free mega tools
To stop ya wheel turning get sum angle drill two holes the same as ya nuts and bolt it onto the wheel it won't turn then and yeah flog the nut a few times before and during breaker bar jobs , ps this torque ain't nowt we go up to 120000 ft lbs at my work , fuck ya bugattis that reall torque , good luck and yeah who ever invented wd 40is a genius it doesn't do anything it says on the tin and people love it same like macdonalds comete bollocks for the masses

Hello John mate, I don`t think I`ve heard it put quite like that before,, but I think you is spot on with that analagy ;)
Good penetration fluid is what`s required, but like John say`s and a few of the other guys, a piece of angle to catch two wheel nuts just to help it to stop turning should do the trick, that`s what I did once but had some inch and a half square box that used to be a post for a street nameplate :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Can`t quite remember where that came from :roll: ;) :shock: ;) :roll:

K@rlos said:
Hit the flats of the nut with a decent hammer to shock it loose. All the buses I've done I've got off with a 1/2" bar and a 46mm socket on an adaptor.

This.

A 5lb hammer will simulate-ish an impact wrench while someone stands on your heavy duty breaker bar & minimum 4 foot extension after a day soaked with penetration fluid.

I broke 3 heads on my breaker bar. Got a Clarke 240v impact wrench and got both hub nuts off in less than 5 minutes.

^ Hope you bought a lifetime warranted one Machine Mart has the Clarke Pro for £35 for a 1inch head.
As long as the head (hardened steel) doesn't break you get a new one. The shaft flexed a little when undoing these nuts, but got them off with a good scaffolding bar extension about 1.5m long, had to do set eh handbrake too.

I had a stuck rear hub nut on 71 bay, I tried 5ft pole on 3/4 breaker bar but no luck, bar just bent and I new it would break if pushed it any harder. I bought the EMPI Axle too,l the short stubby thing you hit with a hammer, when it arrived I thought it would never work but a couple of sharp blows with a club hammer and the nut came undone. Also I don't understand comments about hitting bodywork just put the tool on the nut vertical with the wacker bit on the bottom and hit from the side. I also put a piece of plywood under the tool to protect the wheel.
The tool worked for me..

Latest posts