regulator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swetty

Reaction score
hi
i cant seem to find the regulator box on my 69 bay.
it wasnt in the engine bay wen i stripped her down...but took off the top of the dash and theres a silver box in there that looks like the regulator box but is smaller thn the ones ive see before..and there is a lot more wires on it than on the wiring diagram..........any ideas.
cheers swetty

are you sure you have a dynamo and not an alternator, as a previous owner may of upgraded and theres no need for a regulator..

the box you mention do you have any pics and terminal numbers to try to identify it

jon

hi
cheers for the reply es the 1600 engine that was in it had an alternator .
but i am fitting my 1700 engine ..witch also has a alternator.
but my old camper witch was a 1975 had a regulator box...and a 3 pronged plug went from the alternator to the regulator box.
ill put a picture of the box under the dash 2 morrow.
cheers swetty.

Hi,

depends on which Alternator is fitted as some are external regulated and some are internal so no need for a regulator box..

Regardless of the type the regulator will not be under the dash. The large "box" under the dash is either the flasher relay (US version) or the headlight flasher.

Clarkson46 said:
Regardless of the type the regulator will not be under the dash. The large "box" under the dash is either the flasher relay (US version) or the headlight flasher.

didn't say type of regulator said type of alternator and you never know what previous owners have done or where they have mounted things, yes Vw mounted them in the rear but others may not, remember that..these wagons are clocking 35 years now and many owners.

Other than the alternator/dynamo what needs a regulator? Our '68 Bay had 2 largish "boxes" under the dash, flasher and headlight relays. It will be one or t'other. From the description it will be the US spec flasher relay. A picture would help.