removing paint off vinyl/rubber etc..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricknpenny

Reaction score
Hello all, I wonder if anyone has got any top tips for removing paint from vinyl (the padded trim bits around the back of the front seat bulkhead type bits). I think the paint in question could be undercoat or etch primer, just to make it harder to shift. I need something strong enough to remove it yet not too strong that it melts into the vinyl/rubber stuff they're made of.
Any help would be great..
cheers
rick

try white spirits if you think its oil based based or cellulose thinners if you reckon its car paint. be carefull if you use the cellulose thinners as if you rub too hard it may start to disolve the plastic,should be ok for a uick wipe - you'll know almost immeadiatly if its going to come off with thinners.
you may wish to start off with something mild like nail varnish remover - (its the acetone you see!!)
hth

baby wipes....works a treat with a bit of elbow grease....

what dont baby wipes lean, the household Panacea

Thanks for your help, I've tried both of your ideas before, but it seems to be stuck like s*** to a blanket and very hard to shift, not to worry I'll keep at it with the old elbow grease.. cheers

I had a similar problem.
Elbow grease and one of those scouring pads that are attached to a sponge did the trick with very hot soapy water.
It wasnt too harsh to damage the vinyl but it got the paint off.
A little t cut might help as well.

What about paint the whole section with a bit of satin black aerosol? Make it look brand new!

Latest posts