replacing accelerator cable with modern throttle cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haveacamper

Reaction score
has anyone done this? thinking about doing away with the rigid conduit and buying a modern flexi throttle cable and conduit - similar to speedo cable - to get rid of any snatching of the accel and minimise friction.

something like this:

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_&_Cables_-_Car/CAR_CABLE_KITS/VEN-UKCCRED_UNIVERSAL_CAR_THROTTLE_CABLE_KIT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NaFe

I initially had problems with my cable but if you ensure everything is clean, there is no slackness in the pedal linkage itself and if you have a decent return spring carb end as I did, then I can't see the need to change anything for what could be very little gain.

Des

ive had to put an extra kink in my conduit as i am running a porsche engine and have a linkage off the engine onto the gearbox

also, i've just posted another thread in tech section about possibly having the wrong pedal as its not central to the hole in the floor. therefore, when i push the pedal the rod through the floor hits the side of the hole its going through and as a result i'm pushing the pivot arm at an angle.

NaFe

I have an aftermarket multi-strand throttle cable on mine...
Had to change it when I put a subaru engine in the back :msn4:
The whole lot is threaded through the original conduit, complete plastic casing etc. Front end has a small bit of rubber pipe sleeved over it and jubilee'd to the conduit to stop it pulling the casing through the conduit when you accelerate. (possibly not the best explanation!)
Not sure if you can still do that if you've had to bend your conduit more though, but my pedal is smooth as...does need a strong return spring though (got double one on engine as standard).
Hope that helps!

Cheers
Al

Latest posts