• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Type 1 throttle tube cable rollers.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karl_f

Reaction score
73 Aircooled Throttle Tube Cable Roller

I've machined my own throttle tube cable roller for a Hex bar linkage to eliminate the cable snag.

Bracket is machined from aluminium, with a stainless steel guide roller. Fitted with a 8mm diameter stainless tube to run through the fan housing, replacing the standard throttle tube. Comes supplied with a No 6 stainless self tapper to secure to the fan housing. The fan housing will need a 2.5mm hole drilled into it to attach the bracket (drill bit not supplied).

UK price is £35 each for machined finish or £40 for grey anodised, price includes recorded delivery, EU price is £42 plain £47 for anodised for tracked & signed Airmail (Paypal Gift Payment Only Please)

Although these have been tested, I cannot guarantee fit will be 100% due to variations in hole positions & alignment in tin ware.

Please note: The holes in the tinware need to be in line to keep the tube straight as VW intended. You may need to address these issues before hand.

You can also find me on Facebook at 73 Aircooled

All rollers supplied from 01/09/14 will be the latest revised version 4, as below

Roller assembly parts in limited edition black

Examples

UPDATE

After fitting a roller to Coops' bus last week, I came across a small issue not with the unit itself but the way in which his original tube had been made to fit misaligned tinware holes by the engine builder. As I have stated on page one of the thread the holes should ideally be made to be in line to keep the cable pull as straight as possible.

If your tube looks remotely like this - it shouldn't!

I was able to get over this by removing my tube & fitting the original one. Otherwise it would have been engine out to align the holes.

Something else to be aware of. Some engines do not seem to have the rubber flexi conduit fitted between the exit of the cable tube (at the chassis) and the throttle tube at the back of the engine. As far as I'm aware there's no repro version available, but a Beetle conduit will fit - this is fitted to my bus. This piece helps keep the cable in line and clean (photos to follow).

Conduit part http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=11930&xSec=817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All future units now use a 4mm grub screw to secure the tube to the body for ease of removal, in case your only option is to use your original tube. The roller pin will also now be held in place with a grub screw from the back, making it easier to be removed if required.

Latest posts