Restauration of my 1970 bay window: Germany - USA and back..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marks baywindow

Reaction score
Hello guys,

because I got some questions for an extra thread, here it is:

I wanna show you the steps of restaurating (and little bit tuning) my 1970 bay window.

At first some informations with help of the m-plate decoder:

rebytyra.jpg

Planend was, to restaurate the complete bus. Not in original trim, but rather lightly modified.

Following parts / assemblies should be better / other than the original:

- brakes (front disc brake CSP)
- motor (this winter will be build a 2017ccm type1 with one-barrel carburetor) so it will get a lil' bit more torque.
- installation of Porsche 924 seats (because of my back)
- installation complete Westfalia campmobile 70 furnishing
- new suspension with red Konis and adjustable front axle

So much for theory, first pictures will follow soon...

Regards from Hamburg, Germany,

Mark

Ok guys, finally got the pictures on my iPad, so we will start...

The first picture is showing the bus in condition I bought him. The pictures of transport to my garage i'm still searching.

My garage - looking like a cave, before making it a little bit more livable:

3ezu6aju.jpg

The previous owner covered the original paint job with grey primer. He really painted the whole bus, inside and outside. His kids were allowed, to paint it with finger-colours...

The bus was not really rusty. Just some small holes in the floor, the right corner in the back at the battery, and the frame of the windscreen. The bus was exported in 1970 to USA / New Orleans and has been probably the most time in the desert of New Mexico, where the previous owner found it and imported him to Germany in 2010.

First i started with disassembling the bus for doing the metal-job.

eze3etut.jpg

More pictures will follow soon...

Still having problems, uploading pictures from my notebook. But here some more stuff:

The complete underbody was sanded by hand. I jacked up the bus on some ramps and squared timber. Looked really adventurous, but still solid for working under the bus. After sanding I painted the underbody with Brantho Korrux 3in1 in light grey. Sanding and two times painting took one week (2-3 hours a day / evening / night after work).

qu5ytu8e.jpg

ategunaz.jpg

After painting the underbody, new brake parts was installed incl. a CSP front disc brake. Looks really nice!

Some more pictures, taken while preparing the inner car for the paintjob.

It was winter and very cold in my garage, so i had to heat very well...

Preparing for paintjob:

eduvadat.jpg

asa4avyd.jpg

u6y3u6am.jpg

y2ytuba2.jpg

Paintjob is done:

a5u2y5aq.jpg

Some more stuff:

aqunuqu4.jpg

When the painter picked it up, the weather couldn't be much more nasty! It was snowing, raining, and windy - hamburg as we know it;-)

2u3ajepe.jpg

esede2up.jpg

nusu5ytu.jpg

Thanks Humphrey!

Here some more pictures:

4 weeks after the painter picked it up, the weather was further really bad, but the bus looked really good:

agutasyt.jpg

Rear lights were installed immediately:

a3u5ahy2.jpg

Also the (original) deluxe trim:

8a5amuzy.jpg

8)
Looks champion now!!!

Every time I see a fully painted bus, I wish I'd done mine fully,
instead of shat look!! :lol:

Thanks guys - nice to hear...

We installed the old windows with new, really good seals without chrome-trim.

Really glad i'm about getting in the window at the right side without damages. It has some old very cool decals with skate- and boarder-stuff. That keeps the old life of the bus at least at life for a bit...

yhe7y9y9.jpg

u4enyryt.jpg

The next step was making the living room a little bit more liveable. New floor, insulating, new inner roof and at least the Campmobile furniture!

y4ynegyd.jpg

putu4a6y.jpg

uramy5es.jpg

zy3a2ymu.jpg

habegupu.jpg

5ubyge6u.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts