Retrofit a westy top to a steel top? Anyone done it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham L said:
We've had a couple of buses in from the states that have turned out not to be true westies but to honest they have been done really well and as already pointed out Leon has already done this to his bus.

As long as the hole in the roof is cut the size of the westy hole so its between the roof ribs and strengthening is added around the hole then its not a huge job. Graham at FBI usually has Westy Roofs in for sale at anywhere between £500-£750 but thats still a lot cheaper than swapping your bus.

So I'm searching for a roof from the US. There is one at FBI which is great. I need to see if the cost can come down slightly as it is above what you state.

I don't believe it is a '73 though....I think that is the best year as they didn't have a sun roof.

I was lucky with my roof as I got everything from a 73 including all the headliner and trim, but I reckon if you could get a template from a 73 roof and you are handy/know someone who is handy at panel beating then I reckon you could do it without a donor roof. You'd just need to get the fibreglass pop top bits. If you look at my pics you'll see the edge of the hole is just rolled over.

DSC01128.jpg

Images here:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=63015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts