rev gauge flicking (upwards) at around 3000rpm when cruising

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeboll

Reaction score
some technical help please, just did a 500 mile round trip to Norfolk and back and noticed whilst there that the rev gauge was flicking upwards by 300-400 rpm when cruising along on a hot day. strange I thought so checked points and the gap had closed up, regapped and checked timing (32deg adv) and it stopped happening for a day. then on the way home for the first half hour of a four hour drive it still happened then stopped. checked points again and they are correct (0.4mm).

would welcome thoughts - do I have a coil or condenser on the way out? or a duff connection somewhere? (checked)

as the rev gauge runs off a signal from the coil and the points/condenser give the signal to the coil I assume its somewhere around here!

thanks

Ian

Check the connections are sound. Poor connection will cause over reading.

If that all checks out then try replacing the condenser and points.

If it still does it after that then there's probably a bad connection or dry soldered joint in the counter.

thanks trikky will give replacing points and condenser a go, connections seem sound but have given them a clean up

Latest posts