Rhubarb resto the story so far

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome fab skills.Really interested in how you have repaired the torsion tube.I'm in the same boat as you,mine is shot on both sides also.I was going to purchase a newish rear end but seeing your repairs gives me hope that maybe it can be repaired instead.Do you have any advice or any more pics that could help me along with this rather daunting task.
Regards Chris

l200 said:
Awesome fab skills.Really interested in how you have repaired the torsion tube.I'm in the same boat as you,mine is shot on both sides also.I was going to purchase a newish rear end but seeing your repairs gives me hope that maybe it can be repaired instead.Do you have any advice or any more pics that could help me along with this rather daunting task.
Regards Chris

i do have some other pic Chris , i will try to post them up -- i bought the tube off ebay i forget the diameter but think it was 89mm - the extra plate circullar plate i made was one of two each side of the chassis --

i will try and do a how to tomorrrow :shock:

Malc

i blame that spaced out old hippy for all my woes

in the spring of 2009 i spotted a t25 languishing on ebay , it was also languishing in a hedge where it had been dumped ,it was in Builth wells and it was up for £600 buy it now , well i did ,the FACT i had a 15% discount voucher from paypal helped and soon me n my mate Simon where on our way to get her , our means of transport being a ifor williams car trailer and his mrs's mondeo .

When we got to Builth we were greeted by the most amiable of ladys , a spaced out old hippy who was charming , she owned a beautiful house that she seemed to regard as just a another squat , around the back were barns garages and endless old vehicles all dumped and in various states of decay , the one we were after was parked in the hedge , abandoned as if it had crashed .

The lovely hippy lady explained that she had been to Spain in it for a few years break , when she was there she had found the interior restricting so burned it on a camp fire , she had then fallen out with her boyfriend at the end of the trip ( excuse the pun ) so in a fit of pique left him stranded in Barcelona and drove the van home in a rage , when she got home still in a rage she dumped the van in the hedge that she had evidently used as a brake and left it there , enter Malc the potential buyer .

To be fair once we had eased off the seized brakes and got her rolling onto the trailer where we could inspect her undersides there was no going back , we posed for a few pics she wiped away a tear , took a final shufty in her for any discriminating evidence she may have left and waved us a tearful goodbye .

On the way back Simon and i stopped for a half at a roadside hostelry and had a better look around her ," gosh you lucky devil " or words that should have been gosh you lucky devil - " its got a full service history here !" Simon had found the service book , we already knew she sounded sweet - result .

To cut a long story short she was a easy resto , a few long weekends and she was mot'ed , my Mrs never took to her and called her naff taff , she was soon gone and the search was on for a bay , a westy was the preference .

When searching for said bay ,i omitted to take heed of some unquestionable facts , bays are older than t25s they have usually had a more chequered past and at some point in their history more often than not have been totally neglected or owned by a spaceman with a spanner .

My bay was sold to me by the most charming of ladys , her cup over filleth with womanly charms and i took more notice of her overfilleth'ed cups than her underfilleth'ed rust ,problem was the lovely hippy lady had been a genuine vw seller , she never knew much about them but she was genuine and what i never twigged was , this seller , the fallen madonna with the big boobys certainly was'nt genuine ,oh no , she knew her stuff and i fell for it .

Oh if i could turn back the clock and have that moment again , i would take a picture of her and you could all see why i did it , man they - err , she was nice , and i bet you woulda done the same.

In effect the hippy lady did me no favours at all , we bought a van off her that none of my family wanted , we probaby bug gered Simons mrs's mondeo engine dragging her back home over the hills and she filled me with a blinding faith in lady vw sellers ,.

So its her i blame for my westfalia purchase fau paux , not the well blessed lady of Hook , nahh its them hippys again that got me into this .

Rhubarb and all her rot was mine because of a aging hippy - FACT .

Or it could just be i don't know my arz from my elbow !.

So now that your in full knowedge of the facts - i'm a sucker for boobs ( yeah i wrote that the right way round ) and have the IQ of a maggot ,you can see why i have struggled through my resto .

The first thing i bought for the resto was a in car smelly in the shape of a splitty !!,

To say i was green would be a insult to green people , i was naive to the point of ridicule , when the car delivery driver delivered her he kept asking me if i was feeling ok and not getting upset in a sort of concerned but anxious patronising way , at the time i thought it was genuine concern for my welfare , in hindsight he was probably wondering if he was safe around me , after he had unloaded my van and i had paid him he was off down our road in a puff of blue diesel fumes .

A restoration of a classic vehicle such as mine is a task that should'nt be taken lightly or attempted by dimwits such as i , but never one to sherk from a task or hide from a challenge i got on with it , i attacked the chassis rot full on, my laser guided Bosch grinder and me were relentless in our pursuit of the dreaded tinworm , not a thought did i give to how it would be replaced -- but i knew a man who would ,

After month's and i mean month's of welding with a house move chucked in to confuse things we finally had a solid van again ( now don't ask me the cost cos i will lie , my mrs reads this forum you know ) it was then time to get all the peripherals working as they should , most of it i did myself , some of it - like the rear brakes i had done by others !!.

previous to Rhubarbs refurb i never held much faith in forums , i always thought they were frequented by Nobby no mate types and little computer people that wrote in capitals and called you an idiot when you asked a question , but not tlb or eb , nahh , they only call you an idiot when they have earned the right by being very helpful to you .

Well i did it , i got the van sorted and had a little drive recently , rolled back the years , back to when me n Lou pre kids drove our 71 Danbury to southern Italy all those years ago , i don't think Rhubarb will ever sample the delights of Napoli and the via rosse but she might make Borth or spring camp .

Look out for a couple of 50 year old teenagers driving a red n white westy coming to your area soon , and if we're broke down by the side of the road - bring us some milk and pull up a pew

DSCF4363-1.jpg

DSCF4341-1.jpg

DSCF4376.jpg

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4355.jpg

IMG144.jpg

Thanks to all on eb who helped me make the dream come true - you know who you are ;)

gvee said:
What a tremendous story! Truly a joy to read and I wish you all the best with your lovely bus :)

Thanks - i glossed over some of the more boring bits like when i could'nt motivate myself for weeks on end to go out into the garage for another freezing ten hour stint ;)

Malc

Well done on a top job
Must be nice after all that work to go out and enjoy it.
All the best...... Happy camping.

Si

si. said:
Well done on a top job

Si

Thanks Si , i was trying to keep up with your resto but my computer crashed and i have struggled to log on to eb for a while -- hows yours going ?.

poptop2 said:
si. said:
Well done on a top job

Si

Thanks Si , i was trying to keep up with your resto but my computer crashed and i have struggled to log on to eb for a while -- hows yours going ?.

Soz - just caught up , wrong resto :oops:

Latest posts