Road tax renewal for Historic vehicles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
As our first full year of early bay ownershp just came around, i dug out the documents to put new insurance in order, then realised the road tax had ran out at the end of August, having bought the bay late Sept 2023.
I am sure i didnt get a V11 reminder letter this year, as is usual for my daily car. So i googled how to tax without this, & you use a 11 digit code on the V5.
Went to do that this morning & found my bus is already taxed 'til Sept2025.

Unless i am turning senile i am sure i have not actioned a renewal recently.

Are DVLA doing this automatically now for Historic class vehicles does anybody think?

Last edited:
Thats what i was expecting to happen sometime last month, but it never came & i forgot until yesterday.
Then found out how to do it with only your V5, but as i entered the details online it made me aware the vehicle was already taxed until 1st Sept next year.
Must have been an automated renewal as far i as i can make sense of it.
I looked back in my emails as i always request a confirmation of tax for our daily car, but i have nothing for the bus, so i am either losing the plot, or its an automated process starting to be used for historic vehicles.

Scratch that, i must be turning senile. :confused: Apologies for wasting time.
I have just found the confirmation email, but have absolutely no recollection of doing it. It appears to have been done during a fortnights holiday we had.

Last edited:
As our first full year of early bay ownershp just came around, i dug out the documents to put new insurance in order, then realised the road tax had ran out at the end of August, having bought the bay late Sept 2023.
I am sure i didnt get a V11 reminder letter this year, as is usual for my daily car. So i googled how to tax without this, & you use a 11 digit code on the V5.
Went to do that this morning & found my bus is already taxed 'til Sept2025.

Unless i am turning senile i am sure i have not actioned a renewal recently.

Are DVLA doing this automatically now for Historic class vehicles does anybody think?
I still get paper reminders from DVLA and use my local Post Office to Tax it that way. The old fashioned way......without the Tinternet.

Latest posts