Rocker cover fell off!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Please can anyone tell me if I've likely done any damage or not?

I was making hay a few days ago and took my bus into the field.....must have been a bit bumpy cos the rocker cover clip fell down and the rocker cover fell off later on one side.

Unfortunately I didn't notice it happening and then my girlfriend drove about 15 miles with it like that. I would guess that the green oil light was on for about 10 miles.

I got in to drive it when she got home and noticed the green light right away, stopped and checked out what was wrong. Noticed the rocker cover had fallen down (oil everywhere), reclipped it up, refilled with oil. I had to put a lot of oil in so I'd say there wasn't much left in there!.

What, if anything is likely to be damaged? Engine sounds fine at the moment, although I am a bit more conscious of the clicking of the valves now! Not sure if it was this loud before or if I'm just paranoid!

in a lot of cases your big end bearings tend to go first (like mine) this is because it has no direct oil feed. the oil travels through your crank before it reaches your big ends.

i killed my engine because of lack of oil (well none at all really) this is usually a large knocking sound from the case, you would know about it if it happened.

have you checked your valve gaps see if it sounds any better?

Nope, just bought the bus about a month agp and haven't got round to checking the valves or timing yet...but they are next on my list of things to do...using John Muir's book as a reference.

I'd have to ask myself why it fell off. I'd be tempted to get a new set of bail arms, to stop it happening again.

make sure they are on the right way, if they are upside down they wont clamp tight. strange but true! :wink:

Latest posts