roll over jig settings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub boy

Reaction score
has any one got the same jig as me ,if so what hight (bolt holes ) have you used
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rollover-Jig-Spit-VW-CAMPER-VAN-SPLIT-BAY-T2-T25-TRANSIT-/151057345543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232bb82c07" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What bus do you have? Tin top or pop top?
I found I could have done with slightly longer bracket arms when setting it up on my westy pop top, maybe because of the extra strengthening in the roof making it slightly top heavy. It rolls ok on the lowest bolt holes but you have to be careful after it gets to 45 degrees as it then wants to turn turtle and has to be rotated carefully (not one handed like in their video!) and supported by axle stands when in 90 degree position.

yachty said:
What bus do you have? Tin top or pop top?
I found I could have done with slightly longer bracket arms when setting it up on my westy pop top, maybe because of the extra strengthening in the roof making it slightly top heavy. It rolls ok on the lowest bolt holes but you have to be careful after it gets to 45 degrees as it then wants to turn turtle and has to be rotated carefully (not one handed like in their video!) and supported by axle stands when in 90 degree position.
its a tin top bud ,mines the same i have to be carefull when its over so far ,ive moved the brackets up one hole but from what you have said i think i am going the wrong way :?

Maybe, maybe not. If it wants to turn turtle then yes, you need to go lower on the bolt holes. If the problem is it wants to return to the upright position when rotated, you need to go up on the bolt holes. It's all about finding the centre of gravity ;)

yachty said:
Maybe, maybe not. If it wants to turn turtle then yes, you need to go lower on the bolt holes. If the problem is it wants to return to the upright position when rotated, you need to go up on the bolt holes. It's all about finding the centre of gravity ;)
cheers bud ,might get a freind round and play around with it ,just not happy with the way it feels when its so far over and i am haveing to hold the weight

I know how you feel :D I've been meaning to write an email to the guy telling him how many modifications I had to do before I was happy for the jig to take the weight. I wasn't happy with the rear bracket so remade it to fit between the engine support bar mounts and extended the front Bracket mounts to take 2 bolts instead of one, plus I bought the wheeled version and found the link bar between the front and back brackets was half a meter short so I had to extend that as well! I was pretty sure they sent me a splitty jig with EB brackets by mistake but now I'm thinking they haven't taken into account the extra weight of a Bay over a split :roll:

the rear bar on mine flexiis badly ,once i am done i will sell it , gunna build the j type one ,its a good idea being able to roll it 360 but know way is the steel he is useing trustworthy ,i get nervous till i get the blocks under to take the weight :shock:

yachty said:
One other thing, have you left the sliding door on or taken it off? If its off, you'll never balance the bus in a month of Sundays. I put mine back on and it was much better. Not perfect, but much better;)
i have left all the doors on at the mo to keep the weather out ,they wont be comeing off till the underside is done :)

Is it worth it then?
Toying with the idea of getting one but after reading this thread not so sure.

gninnam said:
Is it worth it then?
Toying with the idea of getting one but after reading this thread not so sure.
they are ok but when useing it you look at it and think ,shit is this going to take the weight ,it does flex in places and could do with some mods but the jig is for many types of cars and vans ,just order the correct brackets. if i do another resto i will make the j type one or maybe the hex jig .i just dont trust it and cant get it to balance so its a one person flip :( .end of the day it works :)

dub boy said:
they are ok but when useing it you look at it and think ,shit is this going to take the weight ,it does flex in places and could do with some mods but the jig is for many types of cars and vans ,just order the correct brackets. if i do another resto i will make the j type one or maybe the hex jig .i just dont trust it and cant get it to balance so its a one person flip :( .end of the day it works :)

Thanks for your honesty.
Prefer this type due to the fact that with the J-Type you still need your axles on - with this, off they come giving you better access (I hope).
So, need to repair the rear offside bumper mount point then I will order one.

Cheers

gninnam said:
dub boy said:

Thanks for your honesty.
Prefer this type due to the fact that with the J-Type you still need your axles on - with this, off they come giving you better access (I hope).
So, need to repair the rear offside bumper mount point then I will order one.

Cheers
if i make a j type one i will make so it bolts to the chassis ,this is what put me off buying one. the only bit i will need to finish is where i have bolted the jig on but will just paint this bit with a brush

Latest posts