Running in a new engine.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintop

Reaction score
Completely new engine - never run.

Is there a procedure/set of running in details i need to be aware of?

I'd like to start to bed the engine in before i start driving it.

i found this quite disturbing :shock:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I know its about bikes but im sure the same principles apply.

and this as well; http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

repeats the same thing about hard fast break ins, i really didnt know that

Change the oil around 500 miles (i think), personally i would change it alot sooner.

Most new engines have had a bench run in or you have the option to have it done, you sure yours isnt run in without knowing it?

Also bear in mind there working high revving generally liquid cooled modern motors....

Your driving "in comparrison" a low reving bakers oven designed in the 30s'....

its most likely run in if its come from a good builder, most important thing is the oil change.

I'd heard that engines should be run in - HARD.

Or for VWs take to 2500 rpm very quickly and hold there, the engine will run hot, after a few minutes shut down and cool down.

Do again.

But i'm not convinced.

Cheers

When I run a new engine in, I keep the revs down and to keep to 50 mph for 500 miles, oil change, adjust valves [they seem to tighten up]. I do the same till Ive done 1500 miles and then go back to usual service periods, it seems to work for me . :wink:

Hmm

The Wilson rebuild book advocates a mid range (2k-3k RPM) initial run of 20mins or so to bed in or harden the cam and I think the cam followers. I have also seen this on thesamba etc.. The higher (than idle)revs I think ensure better oil splash onto the relevent faces.

As for the rings Wilson advocates varying the rpm during run in but without going to full throttle .

Well thats what I've read anyway :?

Cheers

James

Just drive it, try not to over rev it much and don't let it labour,50 miles or so change oil and clean gauze to get rid of the shite,adjusr tappets,check for oil leaks etc.Another few hundred miles,change oil,another 500 or so change oil again then 1000,then normally after that.

ive just ran a newie in ,i opted for the 500 miles at 50 ish then change oil set tapets and check timing,.the oil was jet black after 500 so mabee do it sooner

Latest posts