Early Bay '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roybird

Reaction score
Hi
If I leave my Bay for a week or two, it takes circa 5 - 6 long cranks to start her
I use the standard starting procedure
When I return in say 24 hours she starts on the first turn, which to me as an amatuer mechanic only suggests a fuel delivery issue
The engine is standard and in good order with all new parts and completley overhauled last year, and I can see no visible fuel leaks
A reilable local mechanic suggests either a non return valve might help, or the pump has an issue
Can anyone help?
She can very occsasionally staul slightly when out on the road but will recover
Roy

Hi
If I leave my Bay for a week or two, it takes circa 5 - 6 long cranks to start her
When I return in say 24 hours she starts on the first turn, which to me as an amatuer mechanic only suggests a fuel delivery issue
The engine is standard and in good order with all new parts and completley overhauled last year, and I can see no visible fuel leaks
A reilable local mechanic suggests either a non return valve might help, or the pump has an issue
Can anyone help?
Roy
Hi Roy,
I assume you have a type 1 1600 engine? With the standard mechanical fuel pump? If so this is quite normal. The fuel in the carburettor evaporates over time and as the fuel pump is mechanical it takes a bit of cranking to draw fuel up and fill the float bowl of the carburettor. A fuel shut off valve will help and is a good idea from a safety point of view. In case of a fire in the engine compartment, the fuel can be isolated by turning off the ignition so it isn’t feeding a fire.

That said, if it is taking a very long time to start, it will be worth checking the delivery rate of the fuel pump and maybe check for vacuum leaks from the inlet manifold and carb.

Last edited:
My 1776 on twin 40s is the same.
Always takes quite a few cranks until it gets going. Just presumed this is the fuel working its way through to the correct places.

Hi
Can anyone help?
Roy
Just normal fuel evaporation imo. Mines the same, 1600tp.

Hi Roy,
I assume you have a type 1 1600 engine? With the standard mechanical fuel pump? If so this is quite normal. The fuel in the carburettor evaporates over time and as the fuel pump is mechanical it takes a bit of cranking to draw fuel up and fill the float bowl of the carburettor. A fuel shut off valve will help and is a good idea from a safety point of view. In case of a fire in the engine compartment, the fuel can be isolated by turning off the ignition so it isn’t feeding a fire.

That said, if it is taking a very long time to start, it will be worth checking the delivery rate of the fuel pump and maybe check for vacuum leaks from the inlet manifold and carb.
Hi Roy,

Many thanks for that, all makes sense
I’ll see if my mechanic can test the pump and check the other items you mention
I assume a better pump isn’t avaiable?
What fuel should I using now?

Latest posts