Running power from leisure battery to the cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a leisure battery and there is power to under the rear seat with a little fuse box for distribution. I'd like to do the same to the front of the van to power the stereo, an amp & some charging ports. I can see no easy way to do this without running a power lead under the van from the engine bay.

Has anyone got any advice on a simple approach?

I have a leisure battery and there is power to under the rear seat with a little fuse box for distribution. I'd like to do the same to the front of the van to power the stereo, an amp & some charging ports. I can see no easy way to do this without running a power lead under the van from the engine bay.

I reckon that’s the easiest way. Run it in some conduit and add a fuse up under the dash and / or by the battery.

Agreed on conduit, I used some black 13a mains cable run inside. The only thing I regret is not putting in two as often want extra ways for Rev counter or oil temp/pressure etc.
Just make sure to use grommets to stop metal chafing though cable jacket

I used spiral wrap which can be easily wrapped around the cables in situ, grips and "shrinks" around them and is easily bent around corners etc, whilst providing good protection.
It comes in lots of diameters and lengths. Check out https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Computer_Accessories_Index/Cable_Tidy/index.html
I also used short lengths of very small diameter spiral wrap around single cables where they were held in place with those metal tangs in the engine bay.
Heatshrink sleeving can also be used and will give a reasonable degree of protection. Again, lots of sizes, colours https://www.heatshrink-online.co.uk/

Last edited:
I made up a harness and used shrink wrap to protect it. Seemed to work fine and in good nick after 6 years

I ran my wire from under the rear seat, popped off the interior trim panels, ran the wire along the side, then around the back of buddy seat and under the mats up to the front. It's all hidden and you'd never know its there.

I have an early 68 Westfalia.

Latest posts