Rust repair!! YIKES!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delux

Reaction score
I just went around my 71 panel and made a list of repair panels that I'll be needing. Who said Aussie busses were rot-free?
Not down here in Tassie!!

front wheel arch LHS
inner front panel
lower front panel
b-post repair panel
outer sill
inner sill X2
inner sill strengthener
sill and side panel O/S
short sill X2
rear corner RHS
battery tray

Bet that little lot is gonna hurt!! I guess I can't complain too much, it's my 4th bus and the first that will need welding......

that van is rust free for england!!! (in the words of monty python) tiss but a flesh wound!!!! :lol:

Sounds like you're in a pretty similar position to us. We need 4 new arches, new sills, jacking points, outriggers, lower front panel, windscreen repair section, and both rear corners.

On top of that we've got to make an interior for it.

About a days work I'm thinking! :lol:

Its blinking always like that. I had some first appearence small resto work and a respray, and it turned into this little lot!

rear hatch,
passenger door,
front arches and camplete cab floor
both rear arches
all jacking point and out riggers
sliding door bottom 16"
opposite sliding door 16"
half new guttering
2 side windows round the outside completly shot
sliding door covers both sides.
Plus numerous new rubbers and seals.
:shock: :shock:
Then it down to bare metal and a respray, I cried all the way to the bank, but is was well worth it. 8)

The secret is, not to go around your van with a screwdriver looking for rust, cos you WILL find it!!! :shock:

Opps too late for that! That's how I found it all. The good old screwdriver trick!!

I guess it's pretty standard stuff. It's pretty good underneath so I can't complain.

All handy rust finding screwdrivers are to be banned! :lol:

im conforted by the fact there are more people in the same boat as us

good luck!! :D

lesson No1

ive got rid of all my screwdrivers and have plastic bob the builder ones with sponge handel's so i cant pick at rust hole's!!!!!!! :D

lesson No2

if you remove the windscreen you will need to learn to weld!!!!! :D

feel free to join in with pearls of wisdom at any time

lesson number 3

Always take a mate on jouneys as its great to have someone to chat with on the hard shoulder :shock: :lol:

I've put the screw driver away for now. Dangerous things those!

I'm waiting on a quote for the repair panels then I guess I'll have to have a stab at it..... :roll:

Lesson No.4. Number of surfing related stickers has a direct correlation with the number of major panels that need replacing.

We have a 71 single cab, ex-builder closely followed by ex-surfer (from Oz). The only good thing about the obvious neglect by any of the previous owners was the fantastic rust proofing ability of a quarter inch layer of engine oil and sand which coated anything within 3ft of the leaky engine. Sadly the pup is more than 3ft long :)

jon264 said:
The only good thing about the obvious neglect by any of the previous owners was the fantastic rust proofing ability of a quarter inch layer of engine oil and sand which coated anything within 3ft of the leaky engine. Sadly the pup is more than 3ft long :)

Yeah it's a shame sometimes that the motor isn't at the front so it could oil the whole chassis!!! :wink:

Latest posts