Saul's 1969 import westy in for a roof and respray

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That roof is lookin real sweet !like a work of art real nice- jam on !! I would roll this !

After rubbing the van down I applied stopper to the areas that had chips or stone chips showing and then rubbed it down again before spraying the final coat of undercoat

P1010379.jpg

I have also rubbed the sliding door and rear hatch down before I sprayed them white on the inside

P1010378.jpg

P1010377.jpg

After waiting overnight I masked them up and turned them over, and rubbed the top of the doors down ready for paint

With everything ready I sprayed the base-coat on the van, this has a matt finish {when dry} until I apply the lacquer and flip, which I will be doing after I have sprayed the bottom half

P1010385.jpg

P1010384.jpg

P1010386.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010388.jpg

P1010395.jpg

Oh yeah here are the wheels

P1010394.jpg

P1010380.jpg

Great work - coming together nicely now the paint is being applied :D

camperman3617865 said:
thebustemple said:
I would roll this !

must say i have never rolled a van yet, i get a better finish with a spray gun :)

Sir i like where you are comin from , you were born with a spraygun in hand -nice work dude.

roll-vroom vroom

I had to get up early this morning {5am} for a pee, so after I had been.... I went to work early,
managed to flat down the bottoms of the doors and put the colour on just before lunchtime

This is also base-coat, just like the top of the doors... wont be shiny till we spray the flip and the clear coat over the top

P1010397.jpg

P1010399.jpg

P1010400.jpg

After waiting half an hour {I do love 2K... it dries so quickly, especially when it has a little rocket mixed in} it was ready for the flip and the clear-coat

P1010405.jpg

P1010406.jpg

P1010407.jpg

P1010411.jpg

P1010412.jpg

P1010413.jpg

P1010414.jpg

Unfortunately you cant see the flip in the workshop too well as its too dark and it shows up in sunlight, but here is a pick that may give an idea of what it looks like.... Luckily enough the owner has seen part of the van in flip already

P1010408.jpg

camperman3617865 said:
After waiting half an hour {I do love 2K... it dries so quickly, especially when it has a little rocket mixed in} it was ready for the flip and the clear-coat

P1010407.jpg

Beltin job Russ, keep up the good work, Do I spy my old rear number plate on your shelf :lol:

Some very nice work your doing there, but don't all the panels have to be orientated the same way for spraying a flip paint? otherwise the they look a differents colour from the same angle?

moler said:
Some very nice work your doing there, but don't all the panels have to be orientated the same way for spraying a flip paint? otherwise the they look a differents colour from the same angle?

The flip we use is not the conventional one that is bought from a car paint supplier that is already mixed for you ....we mix it ourselves in house and as such when its sprayed, we get a uniform coverage.

The effect we are going for with our own type of flip is that in normal dull conditions, the paint just looks gloss but when the sun is out it has a sheen on the panels which follows you as you walk around the van, therefore giving the van a different colour from different angles

something like this

PINK VAN WITH BLUE FLIP

P9100334.jpg

PINK V8 BEETLE WITH LIGHT BLUE FLIP

Picture023.jpg

SAMBA WITH LIGHT BLUE FLIP ON ALL WHITE SURFACES

P1010037.jpg

P1010030.jpg

NEARLYTHERE24.jpg

SPLIT SCREEN BLUE ENGINE LID INSIDE WITH PINK FLIP

PICTURE188.jpg

The van was just about ready on Friday night but as the evening temperature was getting colder I decided to go home and start a fresh this morning { Saturday }

Sprayed the van with the bottom green colour {viper} and waited for it to go off, next I unmasked the top half of the van ... used tak rags to get rid of any dust that had fallen from the masking paper onto the van and sprayed 2litres of flip over the whole thing.
Had a cup of tea and a smoke outside while I waited for that to just about dry...then sprayed the clear coat over the top.
Went for a walk while I waited for that to dry and came back to take some pictures

P1010430.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010433.jpg

P1010434.jpg