Schofield Windscreen Bulge Repair Panel...used it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPBerry2011

Reaction score
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourpa...creen-Bulge-Repair-Panel-6879-211805035B.html

Hi all.

First off, thanks for looking.
Has anybody put this part onto your bus?

I only need to replace the bulge. Would it be neater welding the panel under the bulge line all of the way across or spot weld the whole panel 'as is' minus the indicator cutout (I have an early bay). Everybodies thoughts are welcome, particularly those who may have used this panel and your experience doing so.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

im no expert, but in terms of weld clean up and prep purposes, id say the less weld area the better. correct me if im wrong someone. but if you weld in as it is, you have 4 smallish areas of weld instead of a long line which could cause distortion, whereas the small areas are less likely to distort.

its how i would look at it. i may be completely wrong so wait for someone cool to tell you.

PSG

I think its the same shit fit panel every one else supplys.A poor pressing thats not quite there.yes I have fitted about 6 and every one has needed a lot of fettling but it is posible to get it nice.only cut out the rotten bits and use as little of the repair section that you can main thing is clamping it and getting it alingned nicely,then dont rush the welding to keep distortion down.other way is to join onto fresh air intake and then you only have to weld across the moulding.

not the best panel, quite thin. klassic fab get good reviews. join through the middle so you have a good area to fill and don't distort the pressed areas.

thats alot of notes for that ,i paid less for a complete front clip and cut wear i wanted it ,i think there is a pic on my resto thread .

PSG said:
im no expert, but in terms of weld clean up and prep purposes, id say the less weld area the better. correct me if im wrong someone. but if you weld in as it is, you have 4 smallish areas of weld instead of a long line which could cause distortion, whereas the small areas are less likely to distort.

its how i would look at it. i may be completely wrong so wait for someone cool to tell you.

PSG

Thats what I was thinking. Somebody suggested welding across under the bulge line as it would be easier to hide but the distortion would be massive across the whole of the front of the vehicle.

peterelaine said:
Just done ours
Only cut off the the top 5 inches :)

Turned out very nice

It has. Thats exactly all I think I need to use (see pics). Did you weld right across the bulge?

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

One has just gone into a customer's van at work.
(Not my handy work, not on the tools really anymore)

Does need a bit of playing with to fit like most repair panels.
P1010077-2.jpg

P1010078-3.jpg

Latest posts