Securing roofrack

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlust

Reaction score
How do people safely secure their roof rack to stop it getting nicked. Have just bought a 3 bow rack and want to keep it on the van. However the van is kept outside and a simple bt and nut would make it easily nickable. Don't really want to have to keep fitting and removing it.

left mine on for four years on the road not had a problem. I think my screw heads are damaged so would have to cut off if some one wanted it! however my ladder is bike locked onto the bumper!

Security heads on the bolts? Torx with the pin in the middle perhaps?

pow said:
Security heads on the bolts? Torx with the pin in the middle perhaps?

I use these or allen key bolts, especially on a 3 bow plus rack its a ball ache to get off even with the right tools! :lol:

I've never heard of security screws. What are they? Do you have a close up pic?

Also ... I'm considering an anti-theft device for my bus and really like the high visibility of your wheel clamp/lock.

Security screws only do up. You use a flat head screwdriver. You can't undo them as the heads are angled so the screwdriver just slips off.

vwcanuck said:
I've never heard of security screws. What are they? Do you have a close up pic?

Also ... I'm considering an anti-theft device for my bus and really like the high visibility of your wheel clamp/lock.

Pics of different screw heads (pinched from http://www.seekpart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
1285632795028_us-myalibaba-web6_727.jpg

2nd from the right.

Also known as TRF screws (Tamper Resistant Fastening)

Latest posts