• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sept 67 microbus, unfinished project ******SOLD*******

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busboy72

Reaction score
This was going to be my "Keeper" it took me ages to find it !

It's a 6th september 1967 microbus and it arrived more or less complete, rear view mirror, engine and rear seats are missing :cry: :cry: , 1 key fits all the locks and all the chrome is really good on all the handles locks etc and all the deluxe trim is complete.

It had in the past a couple of crappy paint jobs which was flaking off in a couple of places, but the roof was original paint and it had some nice original sunbaked surf stickers on the windows.

Sadly we couldn't get it all back to original paint and it needed a couple of repairs doing.

We stripped the shell down to nothing and bolted her onto the roll over jig and started sand blasting, the cab floor needed some repairs and under the windscreen needed a bit of new metal as well so it has had a klassic fab full cab floor and an inch of their windscreen repair panel fitted.

It took me a couple of years on and off to sand blast all underneath, cargo floor, wheel arches and any other areas that had any surface rust, then etch prime it all.
All the doors, tailgate etc didnt have any rot at all !!

Looks like it was undersealed at the factory or when it was nearly new as underneath was in amazing condition.

I really wanted to use all the original, relectors, deluxe trim, deluxe window trims, mirrors etc etc and thought it would just look half finished with the fresh paint, so we had a go at getting some 2k paint colour matched to the original beige primer and then we went over it with the blue and buffed it through to the beige in places and then the idea was to satin or matt laquer over the lot, i know you just cant fake it, but i have loads of blue left if i needed to paint it again.

I have just run out of motivation to finish it, i work loads of hours and its hard to find time for it, it is rock solid and as it is could either be painted again or just buffed up put back together and run as it is.

At the moment the shell is just sat on the roll over jig painted with the doors and tailgate fitted and i have only got as far as blasting and painting some of the suspension components.

The padding on the dash was all cracked so it has been removed and sand blasted and all the extra holes welded up, filled and is in primer ready for paint, all the glass is good, but i cut the window rubbers out so i could save the deluxe trims.
Brake/clutch pedals, steering column have all been blasted and are in satin black ready to fit.

If anyone is interested i can fit the front beam back on and re-assemble the back hubs to get it rolling, but i would need a couple of weekends to do this.

It comes with everything i have taken off the bus (all in boxes) but a lot of stuff needs cleaning or replacing, i haven't done anything with the brakes, seats, interior, bumpers etc

There is bound to be loads i have missed but if anyone wants any more information just p.m me and i'll get back to you as soon as i can.

I would like to get back in the region of £5,500 for it. I am in the Sheffield, Worksop area if anyone wants to come for a look and a chat

Thanks for looking

Andy

What is the standard of the current paint? Is it only the front panel that has had fake patina done?
Lee

I Will try and give it a dust off over the next couple of nights and get some pictures taken and posted up

thanks
Andy

......................................................................................................................................................................

Just been down and taken some more pictures

Would look better with some of the bits back on it

Sorry about the pictures, if i use the flash the colour of the bus changes :shock:

Latest posts