Setting the Choke

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Hello went setting the Choke, what would you class as the full open position, the last tooth is a little longer than the others so is it that, or is it the bit that starts to curve round? hope that makes sense :D

What is this on? 34pict carbs have their chokes set by aligning the marks on the body. The choke is fully off when the choke butterfly is vertical.

I know exactly what you mean :) but it depends on where the spring catches and the choke butterfly position, i always make slight adjustments from summer to winter but never further than the marks on the choke body. what age/condition is the choke in?

its a 34pict-3 its all new at the moment I have set it not on any teeth and it idles at a nice 850 but after driving around I noticed it idles a little higher, so it seems to sit on the bottom tooth

Now start the engine and warm it up. Take the air cleaner off the top of the carburetory (if it's the oil filled type be careful, you don't want a shoe full of oil) and check that the choke butterfly is standing vertical. If it isn't, run the engine some more to make sure it's throughly warm, and check the choke butterfly again. If it is not standing vertical, the butterfly needs adjusting or fixing.

Choke adjustment on a 34pict3
http://www.vw-resource.com/choke2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice easy description of the proceedure for adjusting the choke

Latest posts