side marker lights legality?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the exeption of indicators, light visible from the front must be white and from the rear, red.
I think side markers are ok if amber though.

i left the rears wired up and even wired up the fronts before the mot, went straight through without any notifications.

also never been tugged by the rozzers, cant imagine they would be that interested :roll:

curly head said:
i left the rears wired up and even wired up the fronts before the mot, went straight through without any notifications.

also never been tugged by the rozzers, cant imagine they would be that interested :roll:

I agree - I dont think most would be that bothered tbh.

Its pretty much a case of how paranoid you are about meeting that one pedantic person one day who takes a perverse delight in exercising his/her powers to make your life difficult.

Its just like running non standard number plates or script. You can do it and may get away with it - just dont moan or be surprised if one day you get pulled for it. :lol:

Hiya All,

Pardon this Yank getting involved in a discussion about British vehicle standards, but....................

Just from a logical viewpoint, if Trikky is correct with the comment "With the exeption of indicators, light visible from the front must be white and from the rear, red." all one needs to do is to wire up the USA spec sidelights as indicators. That has been done over here in the States on quite a few vehicles. On my Bus I wired in the front amber side reflectors as lights. Those too could be turned into indicators and it would seem not to violate either the spirit or the letter of the law.

Might that be a possibility?

Bookwus said:
Hiya All,

Pardon this Yank getting involved in a discussion about British vehicle standards, but....................

Just from a logical viewpoint, if Trikky is correct with the comment "With the exeption of indicators, light visible from the front must be white and from the rear, red." all one needs to do is to wire up the USA spec sidelights as indicators. That has been done over here in the States on quite a few vehicles. On my Bus I wired in the front amber side reflectors as lights. Those too could be turned into indicators and it would seem not to violate either the spirit or the letter of the law.

Might that be a possibility?

Yes good point. I have seen that done here too and side repeaters on indicators are not unusual in europe :)

Mikes right! I did this years ago on my 71 westy. Looks great when I indicate as you get an amber light at the back and red flashing on the side. Never had a problem with MoT - the tester's comment "they'll certainly notice that lot!" :lol:

Thanks for all the input everyone! Both the plod and the MOT inspectors up here have a bit of a reputation for being a bit petty about stuff like that. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Saves me the job of welding up the mounting holes as well :)

It's worth noting that the Volvo V40 came with amber side markers as standard - which remained on at all times - with the usual 'safety first' side lights.

Don't really see how they would have a problem with front being amber and rear being red?

No facts hear....just opinion. ;)

The more lights the better surely

First thing i did when i gat my bus was to wire the marker lights up, i recall discussing with Just Kampers and the guy refused to send my order in one go (i.e. 2 yellow lenses 2 red lenses and 4 bulb holders) because it was illegal to wire the fronts???

Any how had them wired up for 3 or so years and no issues and as people say they are more popular now with them being fitted to longer vehicles etc.

I do also have my front indicators wired to my side lights with double element bulbs and they look ace, not yet had an mot done so will see what happens

hmmm Im in the process of painting my deluxe and im thinking about deleting both front ambers and rear reds completely... cleaner look ... im new so dont hate hehe.. what yall think about deleting?

axionbay71 said:
hmmm Im in the process of painting my deluxe and im thinking about deleting both front ambers and rear reds completely... cleaner look ... im new so dont hate hehe.. what yall think about deleting?

dont do it.

Wired my rear side lights (red ones) back up - going for an MOT next month so will see - front are just reflectors but would like to get them wired in as indicators, most modern cars have side indicators but not sure about the legality of the red running lights...?

bottom rung said:
Thanks for all the input everyone! Both the plod and the MOT inspectors up here have a bit of a reputation for being a bit petty about stuff like that. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Saves me the job of welding up the mounting holes as well :)

Drove up to Oban the other week from Stranraer, i can honestly say i have never seen so many speed cops and cameras on route it was total overkill.

Latest posts