side windows and screen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone got any usefull advice for fitting windows??????? been fighting with them for hours now and still no joy. who sells the best repro seals? im thinking some better quality ones may be the way forward.

There is a youtube vid of a couple of fellas fitting windows using a piece of thick string- may be worth a watch - also VW Heritage seem to do the best seals?

Late bay side window seals are thicker for some reason, and provide a tighter seal. Makes them more of a pain to fit, but it is possible.

Don't be afraid to give the side and rear windows a smack with your hand, they're toughened glass so should be OK. That being said, don't go mental.
The front screen is usually laminated so you have to be a bit more careful- from experience.

I usually use a bit of really thick strimmer wire that I nicked from a job I had about ten years ago :) Washing line cord- the old-school fabric stuff- may be worth a go, or just really good thick string.

Soap up the window aperture with your choice of lubricant- most recommended is clear waxoyl as it'll protect the aperture. Washing up liquid has salt in it, which is a bad idea.

Fit the string, have an assistant push the window in place as much as possible, and carefully pull the cord over the metal lip. If you find that the rubber won't reach, tell 'em to push harder or work on a different area for a while. It gets easier as more window fits into place as it sort of pulls itself in.

Latest posts