single port engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveGTU

Reaction score
just got a chance of a 1600 twin port engine , completely rebuilt with loads of pics to document re build. Nothing really wrong with my single port except it leaks oil just about everywhere !!
doing a full resto towards end of the year so would be a good time to get this bit up together.
Is a single port engine worth anything ???
Will a twin port give me much more power ??

i think a twin port was rated at 50hp and a single at 47

Single port was 48 HP but has more torque stick with it and sort out the leaks as you will have to change most of your tinware,carb and manifold.

Now for my two penneth worth :shock: If it runs, it`s great, oil leaks aren`t as mahoosive a problem as some peeps think, with just a little research and decent gaskets and stuff and a little ventilation too, most can get a year or two or even more from a tired engine. Yes we`d all like a zillion horsepower under our right foot, but that`s not exactly what it`s all about initially. I`d try and nurse your little motor a bit more and get him fairly oil tight and carry on with what you is doing. If at a later date, you may want a couple more horses then you`ll be a little more rehearsed about the pros and cons of various configurations. If your motor that you have there is shagged bagged and bobtailed, then maybe another runner might be just the ticket to get you mobile for a bit, but all of them have the good and the bad bits, me,,I just want reliable ta very much. The biggest difference between any of the motors as in single port versus twin port versus a bit more cam versus some head work versus more cc etc etc etc,, the biggest difference in most of them is how worn out they are and how well have they been set up, like timing, tappets, carb etc etc etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Clean him up and see where he leaks :mrgreen:

^^^

WHS - the tp seems to have a lot flatter torque curve as well

Alex VW Heritage said:
megaaircooledvw said:
OK but torque is the key.

Unless I am reading the graph's Sparkywig has provided wrong, looks like the TP wins on both Torque and Horsepower?

chad said:
^^^

WHS - the tp seems to have a lot flatter torque curve as well

That's what I meant about myth busted.

TP will flow more then SP and with a small amount of work will give considerably more flow that even the best worked SP head. If you desperately need an engine now then go for it, if you can hang on then wait for a decent TP with all the tin wear as over time you may wish to upgrade your engine and this will save you having to faff around buying new tins etc.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts