Six Rib Box jumps out of 1st gear ??????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinvan

Reaction score
Hi Yall
Our six rib box jumps out of 1st gear, all other gears are ok does anyone have any idea what may be wrong
we do have a Gene Berg shifter fitted

Thanks
Vinvan

Does it go into gear ok? If so I’d put my money on the teeth on the synchros being worn. But I’d check the engine and gearbox mounts are tight / not worn.

Try adjusting the shift plate again. It's only the last couple of mm of the gearshift movement that actually does the engagement, the rest of the movement is syncronising/clearance.
Or it could be the front gearbox mount is loose/broken.

You don't say whether it's all the time, under acceleration or braking?

Usually jumping out of gear indicates that there are a few things worn in the 'box. Usually more common with 3rd/4th gear though.
The synchros, selector ring, gear dog teeth & selector forks can be worn and not fully engaging, the mainshaft bearing can wear or spin so that the mainshaft will move fore and aft, so when you accelerate it will jump out of gear.
And the more times it jumps out of gear, the more damage it causes.

Before you start dropping the engine and 'box out though, I would check there is nothing stopping the selector engaging fully due to the linkage.

Thanks guys
It jumps out of gear on acceleration
gearbox mount is new and tight
will check the selector and the shift plate

thanks for the info

Vinvan

Hi,

if all of the other suggestions are ok I would say possibly the baulk rings are weak they hold the gear in tight and if weak in tension allows it to drop out of gear when accelerating, normally syncro problems are grating gears when selected due to the syncro rings not slowing the hub up enough for gear to be selected when depressing clutch and selecting gear if that makes sense.

Latest posts