Slammed/narrowed 1968 devon tin-top (frank)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, I really liked the 365 rims, the shiney ness of them worked well, especially with the polished rack, you thought about getting the new rims chromed???

cheers for that big T:oops: ........ hope that by reading this someone has avoided some of the same mistakes.

The saga continues...................

Red9 kit arrived fri, but there are clearance issues with the weedeater, bugger!

I phone Simon from red9 and to my surprise he asks if i'm in today (sat). He arrived at 9.00am this morning after traveling for 1 1/2hrs

and spent the morning measuring, Turns out that the weedeater upper shock mount is a lot further forward (towards the frt of the van)than a standard beam. So it needs a bracket fabrication to allow the coil over to sit vertically.

But hows that for service!!!

He's thinks that it will take a couple of days to fab the brkts and then instead of posting them he intends on coming back to make sure everything goes on fine.

Early indications and few calculations are pointing in the direction of a very low frt end :)...... infact i may needs to be doing a little tubbidge over the winter months.

Pics later :)

Ant, tell him to make 2, ill need a pair myself :D

Does Simon think the shocks will still be ok although the mounting is further forward?

That shouldn't be a prob Johnny, it seems if you opt for 2" to 4" Red9 coilovers.... the top shocker location on the weedeater equates that to roughly 3" to 5", mix that with Ball joint dropped spindles and its going to be roughly 5.5" to 7.5" i've spoke to Simon on the phone this evening and he is going to factor in the 2.5" dropped spindle measurement when designing the adaptor bracket. But he will keep all the c.a.d designs for future customers.They already do a similar bracket for the top shock mount for a split beam.

Cool looking rims - I'd never thought of using bug wheels... and I've got a pair of slotted 67 wide-5's behind the shed too. Will offer them up when the bus finally arrives :)

From a safety POV are bug steels wheels strong enough for use a bus? I'm guessing they are seeing as most alloys fitted to a bus are either from a bug or another non-bus weight vehicle

Promised pics

29082008698.jpg

tie bar swivel ends

29082008697.jpg

machined to fit weedeater beam

30082008715.jpg

30082008716.jpg

This is how the coilover "should fit", red9 are designing and making a bracket for me to allow fitment of the coilovers. This bracket should have a lower top mount due to me fitting the 2.5" dropped spindles. Without the dropped spindles the top mount could be he same hight as the og weedeater one which would give you an extra (estimated by me) 1 to 1 1/2" drop.

29082008702.jpg

30082008720.jpg

30082008717.jpg

some random pic i took whilst under the van

24082008673.jpg

At work after one of the few journey's this year :?

31072008561-001.jpg

excellent description of the problems, but im confused? surely the dropped spindles dont affect the shock mounting position as the trailing arms at the same position? ...does the spindle get in the way of the coilover or something?

Johnny said:
excellent description of the problems, but im confused? surely the dropped spindles dont affect the shock mounting position as the trailing arms at the same position? ...does the spindle get in the way of the coilover or something?

Nah Johnny, the reason for the fabbed up "lower" top shocker mount is the dropped spindles. The weedeater top shock mount is taller than a stock beam, Which if your running torsion bars isn't a problem, you just get shocks to suit.

When using coilovers in position of the shockers the measurement difference between stock bottom to top and weedeaterbottom to top will actually lower the bus by that difference.

So the coilover kit is 2"(from stock) to 4" drop add to that the 2.5" dropped spindles and then factor in the top shock mount difference and i reckon thats (with the coilover at its highest 2" setting) .........5 1/2" estimated drop!!..... now that will put my tyres on the arches before i've even had chance to use the adj on the coilover hense the lower top shock location on the fabbed bracket.

Does that make any sense at all? feel like i'm not explaining this to well, i know what i mean tho :?

like mentioned earlier tho, i could have another pair of brackets made up with the higher shock location and tubb the arches :twisted:

i think i see :| ... so... bear with me... :)

...a taller coilover, say by 2", would get rid of the need for a bracket/adapter? or is it to do with the verticle position of the coilover?

I'm interested to see how this adapter fits :D

I wonder do red9 supply longer coilovers? obviously not if they have to fab a bracket?

a 2" longer coilover wouldn't help with the weedeater due to the clearance probs with the coilover spring and the shock tower.

i just re-read it 4 times :D god im blonde today!

i get it now :lol: a can of 'Rockstar' always helps :wink:

i cant imagine how the bracket will look at all as it looks like a tricky problem

ok, bracket on, very well made it started out as a slab of 25mm steel :shock: milled to the right shape/dimensions....That has got the coilover in the position that they need to be...
but its low, infact very low. The highest setting on the coilover and it was just off the tyres, Simon has took the coilovers away to his workshop to modify them, again can't fault the guy for service he's wants to come back for a re-fit tonight!!!(and he is over an hr away). Old franks gunna have a very modified suspension at the end of all this, If all this works its gunna be a good way to get really low on balljoints and retain a quality ride, fingers crossed :wink:

will report back later.

No pics? :wink:
Sounds like this will end up being the dogs when finished 8) :mrgreen:

Simon came back down as promised this evening with the modified coilovers 8) .... when he arrived it was pissing down and hasn't stopped so i'm going to fit them tomorrow.

Just realised i forgot to take a pic of the bracket, will get one tomorrow when i put it all back together :)

modded coilovers (1 1/2" extended)
03092008742.jpg

wheels back from the blasters..... they've been dipped and blasted as the powdercoat was a bitch to get off apparently.
03092008743.jpg

pic from the other day
02092008737.jpg

Qick update: all fitted up and i had a quick test drive, fanastic ride :) need to adjust it lower.... but ran out of light

bought the paint for the new rims and wet flatted them ready for the paint over the weekend :)

04092008750.jpg

04092008749.jpg

Exciting stuff.
Swing by when you're happy. I'll be here all day.

ah i see now 8)

i wonder how much al that would cost? im needing the same set up. :D ask him if you see him again :wink:

Latest posts