Sliding door cover (other side) removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenzo

Reaction score
I'm trying to take the sliding door runner exterior cover off - the bit on the outside of the van, and also need to take the one off the non door side.

it is a x-over '72, and i've taken the three screws out that you access from underneath but it isn't budging.

it looks like there is a rubber seal between the cover and the body, do i need to remove this first? it will probably be buggerd by the time i manage to rip it though, are they available to buy new?

help!

Also a good dose of penetrating oil helps and dont forget on the sliding door side there is also a tensioner screw accessed fron the catch side that must be slackened off.

You do not remove the plastic trim to get the cover off btw.

and yes the rubber/plastic black sealing strips should come off with the cover,if you do screw it up though,they are readily available from the usual purveyors of VW spares.

Thanks chaps,

I thought it needed a clout but it is also well stuck on with all the PO hand painting efforts

I thought I had read somewhere there was a screw which had to be accessed from the inside, behind a trim panel or something. I might have seen this in the Bentley manual too. Not 100% sure though. It might be the item Trikky is referring to. I'll look in the Bentley tonight.

No, it's this screw with the paint scraped off,

002-40.jpg

Mine doesn't have a tensioner bar fitted.

Latest posts