Sliding steel sunroof

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubaroo

Reaction score
Hi folks, having problems with a sliding sunroof, anybody out there with one. or experience with one? Any help most welcome.

couple of things, firstly it has a seal fitted which isn't any use at all.I have found status do a genuine vw one at over a hundred quid, have also been in touch with a local trim suppliers, just haven't had chance to take van down to them, to see if they do anything, due to weather.
Also there are some plastic drain pipes running from the corners of the internal gutters that disappear into the body, trying to work out where they should run to.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D241%2D223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i used the status seal.the seal wont stop water from getting in,
the tubes are about 5" long and bent,if your head liner is out you will see the front two
they go in to a metal tube that goes right down to the seal run your hand under the van and you will find them,there is six all together four in each corner of the sun roof and two at the back,put the air line up them to clean them out ;)

headliner is out, as are the interior side panels, so I will have another look in the morning. thanks for your help so far.

I can only find 4, the ones in each corner, none at the rear, only one is a short bit the others go down then into the door pillars. I am beginning to wonder if it's worth the hassle, am seriously thinking about getting it welded shut!

need to get an interior in it, and until this roof is sorted I can't get on. missus will start giving me grief if it isn't sorted soon!

I'm sure you don't want to weld it really!

Status seemed pretty clued up when I spoke to them - see if they can help.

I've also found someone on a different post somewhere (can't remember where!) had bought some rubber "P" shaped extrusion and attached it all round the edge of the sunroof, that formed a seal when the roof was lifted up. They claimed it was water tight, and seemed like a reasonable idea to me.

I'll see if I can find out what they recommended.

I've got a sunroof in my bus, and whilst the bus isn't how I want it at the moment (it's the white one on the Slamwerks ad that pops up occasionally) having the roof open is quality!!

Good luck

robins said:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D241%2D223

i used the status seal.the seal wont stop water from getting in,

I have spoken to status, seal is around £115, which is a lot of money for something that supposedly doesn't work i.e. stop water from getting in. I am trying to figure out where the drain tubes are supposed to run down through the body, I can only trace 2 of my 4 as i don't have any along the rear of the roof, In am worried about water collecting somewhere inaccessible and quietly rotting everything.

The two at the back on an earlyy bus can be seen if you luck up inside the rear vent and accesable if you remove the hinge covers and pull the headlining back gently.
The original seals are designed to stop leaves etc getting in and blocking the drain tubes and are not meant to stop water, some people use neoprene which is what they use to seal boat doors and seems to help.
Unfortunately the drain tubes block easily and the steel parts that run through the pillars rust and disintigrate.
Im slowly removing these rotten bits and using rubber hoses instead and have been covering the van (garaged now) In the past it has just filled up with water.
Hopefully once its all done I will be able to leave it out in the rain with no worries, alot of hassle but a great option to have.

I agree with Wibblers comments.

This may seem rather basic but have you tried pouring a bit of water down each of the drain holes in the channel to check they drain and see where the water comes out? Use a small kitchen funnel and tube if needs be. If any are blocked its easy to unblock them with an airline if you have one, otherwise you can clear them with some thin cable like speedo or bike brake cable. If they drain but the water doesent emerge correctly then replace the pipe with some plastic tubing.

thanks for your help, the headlining and interior panels are not installed, so I can access most areas, I will go and have another go at tracing these pipes, there are plastic pipes, I assumed these were standard, so maybe someone has already replaced the original ones.

The plastic pipe joins the tubes that come down from the sunroof drains and the pipes that go down the pillars. These go hard and leak sometimes and are worth replacing. B&Q normally sell the right diameter.

Hi all,

I have a new to me 1970 bus and the drains leak into the cabin. I am pretty sure the steel lines have rotted away and need to be addressed. My plan is to pull a plastic tube through what is left of the steel tubes and attach to the existing drain holes in collection channel (where the factory plastic tubes connect). My question is what is the OD of tubing I can use to go through the existing steel tubes?

Thanks!

Most sunroofs leak because they are missing the collecting tray to the rear of the sunroof cover. As said before, the seals are not supposed to be watertight, rather they stop leaves etc getting and blocking the drain tubes.

Latest posts