• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD: 1776cc Long Block. Only done 6000 miles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcalf

Reaction score
Full long block engine has been sold

However I have various 1776 engine parts, from my previous engine, which i shall be listing shortly.

Complete set Kadron carbs, with linkage, air cleaners etc. modified for use with vacuum distributor for improved acceleration and economy.

Pair stock valve VW twin port cylinder heads, cut for 90.5mm (1776cc) with mild port and polish. These heads are very desirable and very hard to get hold of now.

Standard Forged VW crankshaft and stock conrods.

Mild performance cam – 4061 Bugpack with 370 duration and 396" lift

Oversized New Barrels
(Basically a long block, without the crankcase, bearings and cam followers)

Originally built by renowned VW engine builder Paul Miller at Harry Harpics in Essex. The engine was sweet as a nut and used to fly up hills on motorways at 70+mph. The engine has done 25,000 trouble free miles since it was built (Mileage can be documented).

After being stored for many years I shipped the engine off to Harry Harpics to see if it could be rebuilt. Once taken apart I was told that the engine had signs of sitting around. The case, heads, cam and crank assembly are ok. The middle bearing is a bit worn, so new sets of bearings would be required. The worst items are the barrels. They are quite rusty and will possibly clean up, but also depend on weather the corrosion has pitted them, in which case they will be trashed.

I knew Harry Harpics could build a sweet engine and to cut a very long story short I decided to upgrade to a 2110cc, rather than get him to rebuild this 1776. So the crankcase from my 1776cc was reused for my 2110cc. The bearings have been ditched as have the cam followers but everything else from the original Harry Harpic built engine will be for sale (ideally together).

The crank, the cam and the heads are all OK as far as we can tell, but assume the barrels/pistons are past it and will need replacing (It’s a bonus if you can clean them up). The engine was always run on Quantum oil, regularly serviced and ran sweet as a nut, which is why I took it back to Harry Harpics to get it rebuilt. I would hold onto these 1776 bits, but the 2110cc has made a massive dent in my wallet.

Grab yourself a bargain on some 1776cc engine bits
Carbs £250

Crank, con rods, Camshaft, pushrods and heads £750 included for free are the barrels and pistons , plus an old flywheel, old oil cooler, old alternator

I don't really want to split the engine bits as they are all perfectly matched for a sweet running 1776 motor.

Info below relates to sold long block:
VW Heritage are currently selling their 1776cc engines for a tad under £3,000, as are cool air (see links at bottom). This is your chance to get a (nearly) brand new 1776cc for a fraction of the price & you won't have to go through the hassle of breaking it in gently, as I have already done this for you!

My engine was bought brand new from VW Heritage. It has only covered 6000 miles since I bought the engine, which can be documented & proved.

Engine SPEC:
Crankcase: Brand new extra strong Aluminium crankcase, drilled and tapped for full flow oil system using the top and bottom gallery method. Fitted with heavy duty oil pressure relief valves, new bearings to match the crankshaft/camshaft,new gaskets and genuine VW crankshaft oil seal.

Crankshaft: Original German forging re manuFACTured to OE spec. Drilled for 8 dowel holes and then dynamically balanced

Sorry i have no idea how these FACT bits have snuck in!

Flywheel: Brand new cast lightened flywheel with 8 dowel holes

Connecting rods: Orig German forgings, remanuFACTured to OE Spec

Oil pump: Melling cast iron

Camshaft: Engle 110. Valve duration 284 degrees lift with stock rockers 0.430"

Camfollowers: remanuFACTured to OE spec

Barrels & pistons: new barrels fitted with forged 90.5mm pistons, manuFACTured by MAHLE. Pistons balanced to 1 gram of each other prior to assembly

Pushrods: New heavy duty steel manuFACTured by EMPI

Rockers: Stock 1.1:1. Re-manuFACTured

Rockershafts: new bolt up units supplied by EMPI

Tappet screws: Heavy duty elephant foot style swivel feet by EMPI

Cylinder Heads: EMPI 044s which are stronger than stock style heads as they have extra material around the combustion chambers. They also have larger air intake & exhaust ports. Each is fitted with stainless 40mm x 35.5mm valves, heavy duty springs, steel retainers & long reach spark plugs.

Bosch 009 fitted with points (but no plastic HT lead cover as I have used this on my new engine)

Clutch & pressure plate also still attached

This engine could be fitted to a Beetle or bus, remember it has only done 6,000 miles. If you are a split owner please don't say you want it and then realise you need new brakes, irs conversion, gear box etc (Someone has already done this).

The reason for selling my engine is I have replaced it with a 2110cc stroker motor. If I was clever I would have sold the engine whilst it was still in my bay. However I have video(s) of the engine running and it cruising on the motorway in my bay at 70mph+ on its last (for now) journey from the North to the Midlands & then onto Essex. Videos show speed, oil temperature and pressure. The engine runs at approx 80c at 70+mph (August 2012). I have the original VW heritage installation & maintenance guide/manual. The correct engine break in procedure was rigorously adhered to: camshaft and cam followers were bedded together on initial start up by running the engine at >2500rpm for 20 mins, with no load on the engine. Valve adjustments checked prior to fitting, at 300 miles and 1000 miles etc, regular oil changes at correct mileage for breaking in etc. The engine has always been run using the correct Quantum oil. The Engine code is ADTR followed by 4 numbers, full traceability information is kept on file by VW Heritage.

Grab yourself a bargain 1776cc engine for a fraction of the new price.
£1,400 which is less than half the current price and its only done 6k miles.

I will happily provide videos, pictures etc to serious potential buyers. If you have no intention of buying then please don't ask me for further information as you will be wasting your own and my time!

You will need a decent exhaust & twin carbs to get the best out of this engine, I also have a set of Twin Kadron Carbs that i will list as soon as i get chance.

Sorry i don't know how to post pictures, but i am good at emailing them.

Thanks for reading

Paul

Links to the £3,000 ish 1776cc engines
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Engine-VW-Heritage-All-New-1776-211100037_act_shop.product_pID_74811283_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Manufacturer~Remtec~Type_3_Variant_Remtec_Engines/211100043SPM/T1-P-T2-P-T3-P-KG_1776cc_Twin_Port_Remtec_Engine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts