Soles 30-31 and SVDA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve bought a new SSP SVDA dizzy with electronic ignition from Heritage. The van, a 1600 TP has run well on a Solex 30-31 with an accuspark SVDA for years. My issue is. The van runs well on the flat and minor hills but seems to struggle on a decent hill it never used to do this. I have read that you should not run this set up as there is not enough advance but as I say never had an issue until putting in the SSP. I’ve timed it at max mechanical advance etc. I did time it to 7.5 BTDC but it struggled. any ideas please. Should I just add a 009?

It’s now dead. Don’t know what happened but the rotar arm caught a wire and it no longer works. May just bite the bullet. Buy another accuspark and keep the SSP in case of emergencies. thanx for the reply Sparky

Completely agree here. Over the last 10 years of ownership I have tried a few things from a 009 with ignitor2 to a full billet Pertronix (never happy with that at all).

Fitted a Bluetooth 123 distributor 3 years ago & it has been faultless. Worth the investment & has paid for itself in terms of hassle free use alone.

Cannot fault it.

SVDA isn’t compatible with the 30/31 Carb due to the low vac it puts out.

You need a vac only dizzy as shown below.

I run a 113905205T on my 1641SP and it pulls well up hills. Best part is, it’s timed at 0 deg at idle (Vac ports blocked) then advances to 30-32 under load, so van will run cool too. They’re really easy to strip down clean up and rebuild, it’s just the large vac cans that are a bit hard to come by, so you may have to take a punt if you buy one off eBay.

I’ve got a brand new twin carb set up to fit at some stage, but I wonder whether it’s going to make much of an improvement on the way we were buzzing about Welsh roads this week.

1E17BA70-31F0-4461-9DBD-D9A3267DED09.jpeg

Latest posts