Solex H30/31 carb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
Hi all good to be back online, ive got the above carb fitted to my 1600 sp, done abit of looking into it etc, not really found what i was after, was wondering what everyone else thought of this model, noticed quite a few with the 34 pict 3, whats the differences etc, worth replacing/upgrading, cheers deano

I rebuilt mine recently and its been fine, I had a look at Rob and Daves site and they said this

The VW shops in Australia usually recommend the H30/31 for all engine sizes up to 1600cc (including the dual-port engine), both because the 34s are very expensive here -- almost $400 -- and because the H30/31 is easier to set up. The H30/31 also tolerates the 009 distributor better than the 34 sized carburettor -- less likelihood of flat spots. The H30/31 carburettor has a throat only a mm or so smaller than the 34 anyway, so you should not see any significant drop in power around town (compared to the larger 34) -- it would probably run out of breath a little sooner at high speed and that's about it.

The development of the 30/31 carburettors is interesting... the 30PICT series has a 24mm throat, and it's final development was the 30PICT/3 used in the 1970 1600 single-port engine (in the USA). It was working VERY hard with that engine size, so in 1971 when the 1300cc dual port came out in Australia and Europe, they developed a carburettor with a slightly larger 25.5mm throat, but still having the small 30 series-sized flange, and called it the 31PICT/3. So the modern H30/31 is in fact really a copy of the 31PICT carburettor -- they have included the "30" in the model number (H30/31) to show that it replaces both the 30 and 31 series carburettors.

You can't buy a brand new 30PICT/2 carburettor, but you can buy a brand new H30/31 model, which is the replacement carburettor for all the 28 and 30 series. It has a fractionally larger throat but the same inlet manifold fitting, so you'd get a tiny increase in hp and would probably get a corresponding tiny reduction in fuel economy. The 30PICT/2 is one of the most reliable carbs Solex ever made, and it matches the 1500/1600cc single-port engines very well.

Thanx for the reply, i did read that the 1300 beetle had these fitted so did wonder if it would struggle in a bus, my bus runs ok to be honest but i'm always looking to upgrade to better, might just give it a service!

bigdeano said:
Thanx for the reply, i did read that the 1300 beetle had these fitted so did wonder if it would struggle in a bus, my bus runs ok to be honest but i'm always looking to upgrade to better, might just give it a service!

Well to be honest that was my thought, but when I took it apart it did feel well built. the kit I got for the rebuild was from GSF and It was to fit the 34 Pick 3 Carb and it all fitted fine.

You can buy bigger jets to make them better suited but mine feels ok after the rebuild, just have an induction leak to sort on the intake manifold so that will be engine out again :mrgreen:

So the 34 pict carb rebuild kit will work on the h30/31?, just want to make sure before ordering, cheers

Well the kit I ordered from GSF was a generic kind, they have two types IIRC, A generic one and that’s the one I bought (Part number 181VG0090) and it had a lot of gaskets that fit Solex carbs from 1960 - 1973 ;) so there's stuff you don’t need but everything you do is in the kit.

The small rubber ring O ring that fits on the air bypass screw was a challenge but some hot water and washing up liquid sorted it.

I deffo recommend you print out the diagram like I did, made it simple, have a look here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts