Sound/heat proofing my van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69calwesty

Reaction score
I'm looking to sound/heat proof my van this winter whilst it's off the road tucked up on the drive. Mainly to reduce some of the noise when driving and make it a little more comfortable for camping next year.

I've looked at a few products on the market – noise killer and Dynamat (on jk). It's a pretty expensive job so have been looking at cheaper alternatives and wonder whether anyone else has found anything that does a similar/just as good a job for less damage to the wallet?

I've found this which is only £90 for 100sq/9m sq which should hopefully cover all interior panels on the van (other than the roof):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RATTLEMATT-100SQ-FT-Car-Audio-Sound-Deadening-Proofing-Panels-Sheets-Bulk-Pack-/300719999472?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item46044f09f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's self adhesive too so no need for tape – I guess it's a permanent job as will be a pain to remove later if necessary. It doesn't say how thick it is so I might contact them and ask. Any other suggestions before I commit?

Thanks in advance

I'm about to make start on this job also and looked at all the products. I liked the look of Silent Coat. I plan to use the 2mm self adhesive stuff for vertical panels.

There are a few threads on sound deadening already, so might be worth looking at other people's experiences.

I don't think there is much saving to made if you want quality, you'll end up needing double the amount to get the desired effect. Dynamat is expensive, but I reckon that the Silent Coat is of equal quality without the brand tax.

Theoretically you only need to cover 25% of the area of your panels for sound deadening, so there's your saving....do your reading....

Hi,

Here's how i did mine, I used this for sound deadening, which has considerable reduced the hollow sound when you tap on the outside of the bodywork:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashing-tape-225mm-x-10m/72438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I heated it up with a heat gun and applied to the area, inc the bracing, also the area above the wheel arch. A double layer would improve things further no doubt, but as you cant access the area where the spare wheel fits as this is double skinned, the outer panel may still drum a little, i may apply some to this area, as it may well help still.

The front doors have had the sound proofing flashing fitted, then cavity waxing of the door inner, then finish with new plastic vapour guard all sealed in. The brown is the wax, not rust. The doors close nice, and sound more "solid" All other accessable panels have had the flashing installed with 2 layers. Overkill, but the stuff is cheap

405123_133364190147346_1879381826_n.jpg

526138_133364196814012_1585331723_n.jpg

602443_133364300147335_603697009_n.jpg

306087_133364310147334_247631072_n.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-6.jpg

001-6.jpg

011-3.jpg

010-4.jpg

The old fibreglass insulation was quite thin, at above 20mm, so i took this out and refitted with new insulation at about 200mm! had to compress a little. This is what i used:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11127503&fh_view_size=150&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{9372016}%2fcategories%3C{9372050}%2fcategories%3C{9372230}&isSearch=false&icamp=HP_nom3

I had to open up the packaging, as was far too thick at around 400mm, so went twice as far. I bought one roll the previous week, which was on offer, at about £.60, Homebase have it for £11, anyway, went back fior one more roll just in case, found they are selling a triple pack for £3!! Bargain, so now have more than i need, will chuck the rest up in the loft, even though there is loads up there, or perhaps just Freecycle it.

Finally, i have covered the area with this:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10617653&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{9372016}/categories%3C{9372050}/categories%3C{9372230}/specificationsProductType=thermal_foil

Since then, I have bought a big bag of sheep's wool offcuts, double felted, nice and thick, decided to re-insulate behind the panels again, as i now ordered some new wooden panels for the interior, going to stain or lacquer them. The cork covered ones were only a temporary thing anyway.

I will take the interior out, re-insulate with the sheep's wool, fit new interior panels, and retrim

The wool is from locally sourced sheep, and there should be more than enough to redo it. May well fit some under the cab mats if i find some nice sizes.

http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect the wool will sound insulate moreso than the rockwool. I may use some more flashing etc on top of the engine bay under the mattress section, and posisbly some kingspan type stuff in the engine bay itself.

A interesting point though, people have mentioned about condensation that can build up in the insulation, as people breathing out during the night, if this is likely to be a issue, perhaps just use the flashing like I used?
Insulation is a different game altogether, with single pain glass, you'd be better with thermal mats on the windows and curtains, this is what i use, though I also have a Propex too

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi there thanks for this really helpful. im going to put a shopping list together and get started over xmas!

thanks
J

Latest posts