Source for Bay drag link rod ends?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happystamps

Reaction score
Alright fellas-

Your drag rod from the steering box to the beam idler arm has two ends on it, and one of them's removable. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? my rearmost end is spot on and I don't really want to buy a new arm entirely. They're slightly bigger than the track rod ends jobs.

Cheers

Si

Happystamps said:
Alright fellas-

Your drag rod from the steering box to the beam idler arm has two ends on it, and one of them's removable. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? my rearmost end is spot on and I don't really want to buy a new arm entirely. They're slightly bigger than the track rod ends jobs.

Cheers

Si

I'd be interested to know this too, it seems a waste to throw away the whole thing due to one dodgy joint, besides which the new ones have dust covers that do a good impression of chocolate on a hot day in there durability.

Exactly.

In the end, I went to Megabug and got a good second hand one.

Things I noticed-

VWHeritage sell a complete drag link with the end on it, but won't sell the end. Apparently this is because both ends are crimped on, but if that's the case then you can't adjust the offside tracking unless you buy a specific offside track rod that can be adjusted. Certainly don't fancy doing that.

Now, cross-referencing the VW part number (discontinued, 211 415 712 D) I found the Meyle part number- 116 020 9003- but according to Meyle UK (who share an office with VWHeritage) it doesn't exist.

DUN DUN DUN...

I'm making a conspiracy theory here, aren't I! Not knocking VWH, they're one of the best suppliers around and they do seem pretty on the ball re quality etc.

Anyway, I knocked up a sketch with the critical dimensions on it. This is kinda rough, as it's measured from a worn part with a vernier. But, it may be useful.

I did find an alternative from application- from a renault tractor! but the taper is ever so slightly different, 7.5 degrees or so rather than the slightly shallower angle for the VW part.

Anyway, if you fancy continuing the search, be my guest. I haven't found much!

Cheers

Simon

Latest posts