South African buses

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marco

Reaction score
Looking at south african early bays, anything to watch for?? Any differences??

They have odd colours as they were painted out there, they are often non-walk through, especially the westys.

From what I've seen they have either been cossetted by the old rich population and are minters, but if they've been sold on for workhorses they'll be proper shagged out!

Scott.wilson on here is your SA expert.

i think what clem is trying to say is that there are quality busses to be had rust free and low mileage......but these vehicles HAD low value ten years ago and therefore ended up in the townships and thus were used as taxis meaning ....yes they are rust free but they`ve been hammered.The trick is to know south africa :mrgreen:

I guess by hammered you mean mechanically, suspension,gearbox,engine?

marco said:
I guess by hammered you mean mechanically, suspension,gearbox,engine?

Nope, everything! Have seen an ex-SA bus that had been so well abused that the ridges in the cargo floor were pretty much flat :shock:
Also, there's a lot of SA that is salty sea air and not likely to yield a dry, rust free bus - it's a big country and as Scott says, you need to know SA.

I guess humidity levels vary as well, same as the difference between a Cali bus and a Florida one.

We bought an 1969 ex-church mini bus from South Africa in 2004.

Bodily it was and still is rot free, but does have a few dings which do add to its character.

The interior wasn't to bad, worst being the drivers seat.

Mechanically the 1.6 single port engine was worn out and had to be replaced straight away, that done it flew through the M.O.T and has done ever since.

If I was looking for another van, then I would certainly considered another one from South Africa.

PS I've also had a South African T3 (5 cylinder Audi engine) Carevelle but thats another story.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have no problem with mechanicals, but welding isn't my strong point so the idea of a rust free bus sounds good. One of my friends imported a splitty last year from California and it was knackered, the engine was good and it had nice porsche steels but the suspension,brakes and bodywork were all shot, at least it was cheap!

Mine is odd colour (sierra yellow), non walkthru with 3 seats in front and was shipped here in 76 and is RHD 8) and i love it because its not white and californian :lol: (expect much flak now!)

I bought a South African westy last year and I love it! It does have a few issues but nothing that is too difficult to deal with. As already has been said mine is right hand drive and not walk through and is an unusual colour and it seems impossible to find a paint code, not that I'm looking to do much to the original paint. I think they are a great buy but there will always be a few lemons out there but a good inspection before buying is essential.

Good luck finding a bus! :D

Think I've found one, a nice '71 kombi with a new engine, some dents but otherwise pretty solid. Will take some time getting used to life in the slow lane as my last VW was a 2.5i T4 caravelle, they rust just as well as early buses though :?

Wohooo!!! I've just put down a deposit on a nice '71 kombi from Pretoria, 2 owners from new, a few dents and other small issues, due in to the U.K. on 9th April, feels like years away!!

Nice one marco, good work, bet your really excited. 9th of April seems so fast tho, that's really good from SA. I have always fancied a RHD bus from SA but how on earth do you get to find out about busses for sale there? Also isn't shipping a nightmare and very expensive from SA?

green20bay.jpg

A few dings and dents, some surface rust and a dodgy sliding door, otherwise ok, and a lot less rusty than my T4!! Anyone know what colour it is?
Can't wait!! resisting the urge to buy lots of goodies for her.

Austin said:
Nice one marco, good work, bet your really excited. 9th of April seems so fast tho, that's really good from SA. I have always fancied a RHD bus from SA but how on earth do you get to find out about busses for sale there? Also isn't shipping a nightmare and very expensive from SA?

Latest posts