Speakers and Head unit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMC

Reaction score
This weekends job could be installing a stereo. I am putting the speakers in the doors…a couple of mids down low and a couple of tweeters velcro'd high somewhere.

First question is should I screw the speakers into the metal inside the door rather than just the door card. If that’s the case which size speaker will fit in the hole at the bottom of the door nicely?

As for the head unit - I will probably need to butcher the dash a bit to get it in. The hole there now is for the original size radio. Has anyone got any tips for securing the head unit - will I need to put a bracket in or something?

Any installation tips appreciated!

Cheers

i'm running a couple of hi fi speakers between the front seats at the moment ....... the good people at the local car stereo shop helped with my head unit by carving out a slightly larger hole in the dash with a jigsaw as the new unit was bigger than the original blauplunk one and fittedd a metal case unit for it.

Uncut dashes are getting hard to find so if youve got time swap it over to a pre cut one(they are cheap and plentiful).
Ive got speakers fitted in my door cards without any problems, feed the wire through near the hinge.

Get a radio blanking plate (or a period radio to fill the hole)stick that in the hole in the dash then put the stereo under the dash or somewhere out of the way and get a stereo with a remote control?
I have done this on mine, couldnt face cutting the dash.

you will have phasing problems if you mount the mids and highs far apart.
the tweeters should be mounted as close as possiable to the mids .they are directional so they should also be pointed toward the listener

I have just started doing this job in mine. I have left the original Blaupunkt in the dash as i dont wish to cut it and have mounted an after market headunit shelf down below my glove box.

As Loxy said you will need a remote control as it is too far from the driver to operate while moving and it is handy to have when you are in the back :wink:

Good luck with it 8)

Kev

Hey dude, the best way to mount speakers in the door is on a aluminium panel. :D

Take off the door card and in the bottom corner near the hinge there will be the place where you want to put the speaker. Get a bit of thin ally and cut to the size of this space and pop rivit into place. You can then either cut the door and have the speaker poking through, screw it to the door card and into the ally behind, or for the bestt results mount behind door card and drill holes in to let the sound out and cover with vinyl (then hole punch the vinyl). 8)

This looks great as you can`t see the speakers but give a great sound and are hidden from prying eyes :shock:

See pic - i have some 7inch speakers in these doors! :D

Vaninside.jpg

Cheers dude :D Keeps the van very clean and is not in the prying eyes of those darling little thiefses out there!

Bit more difficult to hide the back ones though!!! especially with 4inch tweeters! :lol: :lol:

VanInsideBack.jpg

8) :lol:

Your interior in lovely dude. I've got a Kenwood tape unit connected to a hidden auto changer and mini disc player. That way the crims only see a face off tape player which is worthless.

I have a cheeky face off pioneer cd head unit, no changer but sorting an iPod connector soon. :D 8)

Latest posts