Split charge relay going bonkers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fitted my leisure battery today and used a split charge relay that I used to have fitted years ago before my resto, I followed wiring diagrams I found online and I still have a dynamo so it seems the relay activation wire goes to the generator light output/the smaller post on the dynamo, however at lower revs/idle the relay is going bonkers just constantly switching/clicking like mad.
I'm not familiar with the output of the dynamo but it certainly isn't putting 12v out of the small connection so how do I measure this output and have I wired the relay to the wrong post?
On the pic below it goes to the right side post.
20150607_140140_zpszjncygbf.jpg

You need to put it downstream of the regulator - that should sort out the switching issue!

Moseley said:
You need to put it downstream of the regulator - that should sort out the switching issue!

Cool, thanks, will give that a go next weekend. So I take it I just need a 12v once the engine is running?

No! You were correct except that you have used the wrong terminal. Connect the relay terminal (usually marked 86) to the D+ terminal of the dynamo - the one on the LEFT of your photo - not the right hand side one.
Peter Good

Peter Good said:
No! You were correct except that you have used the wrong terminal. Connect the relay terminal (usually marked 86) to the D+ terminal of the dynamo - the one on the LEFT of your photo - not the right hand side one.
Peter Good
Ah, thanks Peter.

Latest posts