Spot / Foglight questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Question 1: for a RHD bus what's the correct placement for a single front and a single rear fog light? I assume it'll be offside (ie. RHD passenger side)?

Question 2: the flow of electrons has always been a difficult concept for me to get my head around so 'scuse my ignorance - but, if I fit twin spots up front is it possible to wire them up so that they illuminate on high beam only?

Thanks - and while I'm typing, thanks to all those who posted pics of the Volksworld show last weekend. For those like myself who don't make it down south to shows and meets these photos are always eagerly anticipated.

Cant help on question 1 but question 2 is an easy one.
When wiring the spots in just take the switched live feed from the full beam on your headlights and wire this to the spots. you might have to increase the fuse rating to take the extra load but not a hard job.
The other way is to take a live feed from the fuse box via a switch and relay that way you can switch on the spots whenever you like
The first way (wire direct from high beam feed to spots) in a very common way of wiring spots in, this is the way the spots on my mini are wired and thats direct from the factory.

froggy said:

Suspected it might be but I really am an electrical numpty. Thanks frogman.

froggy said:
When wiring the spots in just take the switched live feed from the full beam on your headlights and wire this to the spots. you might have to increase the fuse rating to take the extra load but not a hard job.
The other way is to take a live feed from the fuse box via a switch and relay that way you can switch on the spots whenever you like
The first way (wire direct from high beam feed to spots) in a very common way of wiring spots in, this is the way the spots on my mini are wired and thats direct from the factory.

That is a good way of burning out your lighting switch and/or your flasher relay as 2 extra lights will add another 8 amps to the existing load. From the high beam feed use that to switch a relay which will then turn on your spots which need to be fed from a new source. The relay will not add any extra load to your switches.

Question 1 If memory serves, rear fog light can be either on or to the right of the vehicle centre line and should only work with your dipped beam. Another relay will sort this as well.

Latest posts