Staple Gun for Replacing Vinyl on Door Cards

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHutch

Reaction score
Hi, can someone recommend a staple gun to secure the replacement vinyl on door cards ?

I'm using 3.6mm ply instead of MDF or hardboard.

Thanks

I used a glue gun on the back of mine, held well generally. Couple of bits needed resticking after a year but it was quick to do.

I've just done this job last weekend, got tired of panel flapping around, but thought it too boring to start thread compared to most of the projects on here - but you're interested here goes. (I just used a regular staple gun, cost around a tenner on Ebay)

manky old cardboard panel

Staples unpicked vinyl stapled to plywood (didn't glue vinyl but did glue foam padding)

PVA used to make the ply waterproof and to hold the plastic in place. (I think you are meant to attach plastic to door, but this seemed easier).

While I was there seemed a good idea to paint door bottom - doors hard/expensive to replace, almost impossible for 1968 buses !

My concern was that the staple guns I've used have staples that would be too long for the ply and would come through it.

Like the idea of sticking the plastic to the card rather than the door - would be easier if you need to get to the various door mechanisms after fitting the new cards.

RayHutch

I used a mixture of 6 and 8mm staples

If your vinyl is like mine you will need to cuts V's in the ply where the vinyl seams are, else the double folded seam is
too think and panel won't fit properly against door. (4 places where the suede corrugated section meets the plain section)

It was easy to make slits in plastic once panel fitted for handles...

Latest posts