Starting issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Saturday I completed a 200 mile trip with no issues. Sunday morning the van started got 300m down the road juddered a bit and stalled. Wouldn’t restart. Towed it home, she was not happy as I hooked it to the back of her car using a load strap. left it a bit then checked I had fuel, loads of fuel pumping through. Not checked spark yet but, tonight I cleaned the earth strap and it fired up ran for a minute if that spluttered and died. cleaning the earth could be coincidental
no time at present but I am off on Wednesday so thought I would check spark and rule out electronic ignition and coil. My question what could it be If I have a good spark And am I on the right trail

When you say loads of fuel pumping through I’m guessing you’re meaning down the carb?
Then check for spark , so you’re doing it in a logical sequence. I’m almost tempted to suggest ignition key in pocket, then turn it over by hand with a spanner or with the belt and give your bottom pulley a little wiggle while you’re down there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, good look at them points / condenser too. :)

I’ve got everything back together but it’s not starting. I’ve put in a new rotar arm. I’ve put a shrink wrap sleeve over the break in the wire and reattached the broken end. I’ve got fuel and spark. I’ve not touched anything else. I’m wondering if there is more damage to the dizzy that I am unaware of

I’ve got a spark. I’ve put the plug against the metal and can see a visible good spark. Definitely got fuel to the carb. I’m starting to think the dizzy is kapput. I’ve also checked TDC so the dizzy is set up right.

Last edited:
Just a thought to do a brief test....squirt some Easy Start into carb/air filter. If it starts easy then your prob may be within the carb internals...if that makes sense.

Latest posts