Steering box £400+???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugsy

Reaction score
Mega Shocked. Upwards of £400 for a recon lhd steering box for my '69 :shock: :cry:

Surely there is another option???

No is the simple answer, You may find someone to recon a box cheaper but Most of these people just pack them full of grease and saw dust so they feel a bit better for the first 1000miles or so but you will still suffer the same issues down the road.

The issue is currently NO one produces new Worms or Pins for Bay steering boxes,

http://www.taylormachine.co.uk/Taylor_Machine_Services/Products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Taylor is now making them for splits and I had already spoken to him about recon-ing my box for me and he said it would be possible and he would then start making bay worm and pins if there was a demand for them.

My suggestion is to email him.

I haven't yet been able to go down this route as I haven't been able to take my bus off the road for long enough to send one to him, if anyone has a LHD EB steering box they want to donate to the cause they should send it up to him to start things rolling, am sure if this forum displayed enough interest and got him a box up front he might do them on an exchange basis???

anyone just my thoughts,

am curious to see what others think and say on the matter.

Cheers

Alex

alex4057 said:
No is the simple answer, You may find someone to recon a box cheaper but Most of these people just pack them full of grease and saw dust so they feel a bit better for the first 1000miles or so but you will still suffer the same issues down the road.

The issue is currently NO one produces new Worms or Pins for Bay steering boxes,

http://www.taylormachine.co.uk/Taylor_Machine_Services/Products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Taylor is now making them for splits and I had already spoken to him about recon-ing my box for me and he said it would be possible and he would then start making bay worm and pins if there was a demand for them.

My suggestion is to email him.

I haven't yet been able to go down this route as I haven't been able to take my bus off the road for long enough to send one to him, if anyone has a LHD EB steering box they want to donate to the cause they should send it up to him to start things rolling, am sure if this forum displayed enough interest and got him a box up front he might do them on an exchange basis???

anyone just my thoughts,

am curious to see what others think and say on the matter.

Cheers

Alex

I've got a spare RHD box if he wants to use this?
I'll need a replacement steering box in the next few months, but am willing to wait if he can remanufacture parts.

I have a LHD box that he could use,problem is I thought he was talking more £500!!
Never did get a reply off the London based company ,that does them cheap, to my question-Just what do you do to the box?
Paul

Its the worm and peg that are important, if worn the 'box will never be any good. Shafts/case and bushes can be machined easily, it's the lack of new worm and peg that's the problem, and as Alex so correctly says, no one makes them.
Hopefully this guy this guy can do the business, if he's doing splitty boxes presumably he knows what he is doing?
As far as price is concerned, well it ain't gonna be cheap but neither are the alternatives. Dodgy steering, bad accident, hospital or mortuary, not good. Steering rack kits, very good by all accounts, but all heading for the £1000 mark I believe.
£170 for apparently a box full of grease and sawdust (as suggested on here) and then £400 for a properly re-conditioned unit doesn't sound too bad to me. Lots of money, yes, but some things are costly...

this £170 london company posted a reply on late bay and they souned pretty good ,all new bearings /seals they re-machined the worm and peg ,adjusted cleaned and painted with less than a week turnaround
http://www.power-steering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I brought a NOS steering box which i tracked down. I'll let you know how it drives in a few weeks when I get my van back.

Latest posts