Steering Box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyv

Reaction score
Hi,
Just trying to find out how to drain old lube from steering box. I have a 1978 Bay. Can't find any advice anywhere. My Bentley manual doesn't cover this.
Thanks

Hi,
Just trying to find out how to drain old lube from steering box. I have a 1978 Bay. Can't find any advice anywhere. My Bentley manual doesn't cover this.
Thanks
🤔 78..or 68, looks to me that there's a plastic plug for refilling so something below that to drain it, or take the plate off and tip it upside down 😉

Last edited:
As above, it's difficult unless removed from the van.

I stripped mine down to clean, and re-do the seals / gasket. That was the only way I could be sure to get out all the gunk, not having a parts washer or an oil bath.

On the plus side it was a lot easier to get the Penrite lube in once it was split 🤣👍

Last edited:
As above, it's difficult unless removed from the van.

I stripped mine down to clean, and re-do the seals / gasket. That was the only way I could be sure to get out all the gunk, not having a parts washer or an oil bath.

On the plus side it was a lot easier to get the Penrite in once it was split 🤣👍
What's a penrite. I have this to do early next year. I have the gasket and fluid ready.

Penrite is an Ozzie lube company from Melbourne, been going for donkeys years and it’s top notch gear . Pretty sure they’re the ones behind steering box liquid grease as they’re still promoting it . If you get this stuff you won’t go far wrong mate. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Another on my mahoosive list of tooo dooo s.:)

Penrite is an Ozzie lube company from Melbourne, been going for donkeys years and it’s top notch gear . Pretty sure they’re the ones behind steering box liquid grease as they’re still promoting it . If you get this stuff you won’t go far wrong mate. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Another on my mahoosive list of tooo dooo s.:)
I got some stuff from the guy in Northampton who refurbs them N2 Engineering. Guessing it might be the stuff if it's the go to gear.

Thanks to all the replies. I have the lube just now need to remove and drain.
Happy New Year
Hi Guys.
Got my T2a steering box referbed by Graham at Midland Early Bay in Reditch. Top notch bloke and referb and the box was loaded with Penrite semi-grease before sending back to me. This stuff does the job great but personally I prefer something I can drain and refill. For this I use Penrite T140 (SAE 140) which is nice and thick but will drain (over a weekend) after loosening the 4 bolts on the plate at the lower end of the box. No need to completely remove the box to drain and refill with the fresh stuff. OTT some would say but happiness to me is a freshly filled steering box (LOL). I also use Penrite classic medium 20w70 (yes 70) in my referbed 1915cc engine lump. As you will all know here, every engine is different and will require a bit of experimentation to get the oil pressure where it should be. For my lump, I was not happy with the oil pressure at idle when hot using 20w50. Penrite 20w70 gave me 10psi@90C at a 950-1000rpm idle. At 3500 rpm Im about 35-40psi at 85-88C doing around 55mph. And yes, I have a full-flow system with secondary cooler and filter. Sorry to rant on with another topic at the end. Have fun. Scull.

Just a thought.
One of my pals has an oil pump that works on 12V . He got it from one of the well known supermarkets from Germany and he occasionally uses it to remove oil from his sump via the dipstick with its long thin drain tube. We did my oil change on the Zafira like this too as both of us are lower mileage users now and so change our oil filters every other change. Wondering if it could pull the sludge up through the filler plug hole to drain the steering box. I’ll get myself one the next time I see them on offer at Lidl / Aldi.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,happiness is a clean box :cool: :cool: :cool:

Latest posts