Steering Boxes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWheeto

Reaction score
Is there anyone properly refurbing steering boxes yet?

Or are there any other options for replacement (I'd love for someone to suggest something findable in a scrap yard that would fit with some tinkering!)

I think you pretty much have it as it is. Quite a few noises throughout the year, but nothing actually materialised as far as I`m aware.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Shame :mrgreen:

I need one doing too, as far as I can tell the power steering place seems the best bet although its not clear what they actually do.....

Having had mine in bits recently I cant see anyone 'refurbing' these boxes. Depends what you mean by 'refubing', if it only means reshimming the worm or adjusting the play in the peg or just taking the adjustment out on the outer adjustment screw, that is simple but any wear to the worm/peg/bearings and the box is pretty much useless. The main problem is that the bearings are built into the worm and peg assemblies so if these are worn the worm and/or peg would need to be replaced aswell which are not available. A good machine shop or gear cutting company might be able to make some up but you would need to make a lot to make it viable. They would also have to make some outer races for the worm and supply some ball bearings. The peg would be even harder to reproduce because the outer race for the the peg is the steering shaft itself and the bearings are very small taper rollers. Other options are to redesign the steering shaft and worm to accept renewable bearings but would take a bit of sorting to do this. Ive never had a look at a late bay box but would have thought it easier to modify one of these to fit than trying to find a solution to our early bay box probs.

Having said all that, if they are kept full of oil and adjusted correctly they should last lifetime because they are a pretty heavy duty little box. :msn4:

some one on here said these people rebuild them..........worth a call.......http://www.power-steering.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had mine refurbished by power-steering 18months/4000miles ago. It had a massive flat spot before, and it came back without one, it still works fine now, however it doesn't feel super tight and responsive like a brand new one might......? Anyone got an as new one to compare it against? :D

A well debated and discussed subject. It is worm and peg wear that is the problem, bearing stuff is a minor thing. As far as I know, no-one makes a new worm and peg with which steering boxes the world over could be sorted, if someone can then they will make a fortune.
No one does this, hence lots of dodgy steering busses.....

The peg in mine had a nasty flat spot.
DSCF3661.jpg

With no parts available and nothing to loose I worked out there was enough "spare" material to get rid of the flat and got a machine shop to turn it down and shorten it. They expected it to be case hardened, but apparently it's not, it's just very hard steel of some sort - so they thought. This is a place that makes parts for F1 gearboxes, so they should know what they're talking about materials-wise?

Seems ok so far but not done many miles.

I also had mine done by power steering OK so far but really havent done that many miles.

I have no idea what they did but it doesnt knock like it did before they 'refurbed' it

Baz

Pickles said:
I also had mine done by power steering OK so far but really havent done that many miles.

I have no idea what they did but it doesnt knock like it did before they 'refurbed' it

Baz
If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?

uber cool said:
ok cool, might have to give this a go, that's if a can get the bugger off :lol:

WHS

About £200 - £250 was a year ago and cant remember now. Mine came off easy :D

Hi gang, I made a tool / puller, out of an old acrow prop bottom. If you can get round Bristol you`re more than welcome to borrow it to get that damn arm off :mrgreen:

041.jpg

045.jpg

Just whiz the nut off,, give the arm a welcome smack with a big hammer :mrgreen: pop this on and tighten, smack the arm again, tighten smack and so on and off she plops :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,You just knew it would involve a big hammer :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your £250 refurb was basically what I did - replace the seals (£2 each), machine the flat off the peg, clean it all up and put in fresh oil.

ZedBed said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if your £250 refurb was basically what I did - replace the seals (£2 each), machine the flat off the peg, clean it all up and put in fresh oil.

Where did you find the tollerences needed when putting the box back together?

Rich

ZedBed said:

Does that mean you would be able to offer a cheaper service :D I think I'd be willing to go down this route if you are having good results with yours

Latest posts